Local Mirror

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Re: Local Mirror

Postby adontz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:02 am

We can't keep all developer machines up to date, because this means that
1) all binaries must be rebuilt, and huge ones dependent on many other packages like Qt will require a lot of time to rebuild
2) developer machines will not match production one, that's generally totally not acceptable.

I'm sure that #2 is not a very specific requirement. Also yes, we do not need gigabytes of packages, but conning part of repository is hard when I do not know how to correctly clone whole one.
adontz

Postby Socaltom » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:26 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' Actually, we're now compiling very special build of Qt, and we want to make sure all Qt5 dependencies are not newer than our build.
').

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'We can't keep all developer machines up to date, because this means that
1) all binaries must be rebuilt, and huge ones dependent on many other packages like Qt will require a lot of time to rebuild
2) developer machines will not match production one, that's generally totally not acceptable.

I'm sure that #2 is not a very specific requirement. Also yes, we do not need gigabytes of packages, but conning part of repository is hard when I do not know how to correctly clone whole one.')

What about updating everyone, then pointing them towards a non-existent mirror? Maybe even a ddns address that you can point to the actual repos when its time for everyone to upgrade. It sounds like you need to coordinate all the updates anyhow, the real risk is that someone updates out of sequence. So point them at the dead mirror and they can't update.

Probably a dumb idea,
But maybe there is something you can use in it.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm

That's a hackish way.

Still no decisive description of actual need, and we're scratching our heads trying to figure out what it is that needs to be "locked" and why.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Socaltom » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')hat's a hackish way.

Your just jealous you didn't think of it. :lol:

I suppose you could also update pacman.conf to exclude the packages of concern.

I work for medical device companies as a consultant. Windows update is a nightmare. We spend lots of $ and time validating that things work, and then Microsoft comes around and updates something, and we have to do it again. Or if something breaks, you don't know which change was the cause of it breaking. I can understand the need to lock things down if you have a whole bunch of people working on the same project. If something breaks, you don't know if its your code, or if its something in the underlying packages. I used to run pyTivo, and everytime python got updated, it would break something and the code would need to get updated to work around it.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Previous

Return to Packages