Pogoplug V2 (pink) no light no SSH [Resolved]

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Pogoplug V2 (pink) no light no SSH [Resolved]

Postby Aqualung » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:08 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('hydro', 'Y')ou could enable netconsole to see the uBoot messages.
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14

Now how would that help me please? How do I get to see the uBoot messages, since I cannot connect to the Pogoplug following a reboot with the dongle plugged in? Would I be able to access the dongle once I've rebooted the Pogoplug device without the dongle, and then plug the dongle in? (Would I have to "mount" the dongle? Not really sure how "mounting" is done, since I'm not really a Linux person, though, of course, I could look it up (http://goo.gl/hP46a).)
Aqualung

Postby hydro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Aqualung', '
')Now how would that help me please?

It may reveal the reason why booting Arch Linux fails.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Aqualung', '
')How do I get to see the uBoot messages, since I cannot connect to the Pogoplug following a reboot with the dongle plugged in?

Boot without dongle, connect to Pogoplug, configure the bootloader as described, start netcat on your windows computer as described, reboot Pogoplug, watch bootloader messages on your windows computer.
VDR on DockStar / Pogoplug E02: http://linux.bplaced.net/
hydro

Postby Aqualung » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:50 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('hydro', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Aqualung', '
')Boot without dongle, connect to Pogoplug, configure the bootloader as described, start netcat on your windows computer as described, reboot Pogoplug, watch bootloader messages on your windows computer.

Thank you, will do that and report back.
Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 am

Alright, I gave up, I returned the damn' thing, as I don't really have time to fiddle with it. I spent a fair amount of time, but I can't afford no more. Can anyone recommend a NAS that would be capable to run Subsonic or MPD and stream my FLACs to my Android devices? It may have to be able to do some transcoding/compression on the fly, hence it may have to have a pretty fast processor, and a fair amount RAM as well. It should, on the other hand, be fairly accessible price-wise, and also energy efficient (electricity's quite expensive these days).

Many thanks.
Aqualung

Postby bodhi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:56 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Aqualung', 'A')lright, I gave up, I returned the damn' thing, as I don't really have time to fiddle with it. I spent a fair amount of time, but I can't afford no more. Can anyone recommend a NAS that would be capable to run Subsonic or MPD and stream my FLACs to my Android devices? It may have to be able to do some transcoding/compression on the fly, hence it may have to have a pretty fast processor, and a fair amount RAM as well. It should, on the other hand, be fairly accessible price-wise, and also energy efficient (electricity's quite expensive these days).

Many thanks.

Too bad but you have probably given up a little bit too soon! Certain the USB flash drives are known to have problem with booting. This thread covers many different brands that people have experienced with, some warms boot but does not cold boot, some does not boot at all!
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1915

In that thread, this post lists some of the flash drives that work consistently, especially Sandisk brand.
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1915,2604#msg-2604

Good luck!
bodhi

Postby Aqualung » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:10 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'T')oo bad but you have probably given up a little bit too soon! Certain the USB flash drives are known to have problem with booting. This thread covers many different brands that people have experienced with, some warms boot but does not cold boot, some does not boot at all!

Thanks. I could've used this sort of advice a few days ago, before I returned my PogoPlug. I did try at least 4 dongles, which at that time I interpreted as a defective unit. Any other suggestions besides the PogoPlug?
Aqualung

Postby bodhi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:31 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Aqualung', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'T')oo bad but you have probably given up a little bit too soon! Certain the USB flash drives are known to have problem with booting. This thread covers many different brands that people have experienced with, some warms boot but does not cold boot, some does not boot at all!

Thanks. I could've used this sort of advice a few days ago, before I returned my PogoPlug. I did try at least 4 dongles, which at that time I interpreted as a defective unit. Any other suggestions besides the PogoPlug?

Have you looked into GoFlex Net (cheap and available), GoFlex Home (more expensive because of the HDD comes with it) or Dockstar (cheap but hard to find)? you can run either ArchLinux ARM or Debian on these. They are as good as the pink Pogo (except for RAM). Regarding your specific needs with Subsonic, MPD and streaming FLACs, I'm not familiar with them so perhaps others can advise that. I've streamed HD videos (wired) from the Dockstar to an Acer Revo 3610, and very happy with the Dockstar.
bodhi

Postby Aqualung » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'H')ave you looked into GoFlex Net (cheap and available), GoFlex Home (more expensive because of the HDD comes with it) or Dockstar (cheap but hard to find)? you can run either ArchLinux ARM or Debian on these. They are as good as the pink Pogo (except for RAM).

Yep, I can see now that PogoPlug might have been my best bet. Before springing for another, I'd have to see what I can get outta my Linksys E4200--whenever they decide to fix the media server, that is. The E4200 is supposed to come with Twonky, which is, indeed, a nice surprise. (If it works, that is.)

P.S. TrimSlice sounds awfully good, though it's kind of expensive for me at this time.
Aqualung

Postby monkeygroover » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 pm

I have exactly the same issue.

I have a pogoplug pink, and previously successfully installed Arch Linux ARM linux on a usb key, all worked fine. However recently I messed up the configuration and decided to try a fresh re-install on the key.

since re-installing I cannot get it to boot (this key previously worked obviously). but just in case I also tried another two usb keys and a flash drive, none of them worked.

Here is the output from uboot, it gets to starting kernel but then nothing more is visible. the light never comes on on the pogoplug and it never gets assigned an ip address. anyone have any ideas???

thank you!

U-Boot 2010.09 (Oct 23 2010 - 11:51:16)
Marvell-PinkPogo by Jeff Doozan
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
(Re)start USB...
USB: Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
Loading file "/rescueme" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
** File not found /rescueme
reading /rescueme.txt

** Unable to read "/rescueme.txt" from usb 0:1 **
Creating 1 MTD partitions on "nand0":
0x000002500000-0x000008000000 : "mtd=3"
UBI: attaching mtd1 to ubi0
UBI: physical eraseblock size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB)
UBI: logical eraseblock size: 129024 bytes
UBI: smallest flash I/O unit: 2048
UBI: sub-page size: 512
UBI: VID header offset: 512 (aligned 512)
UBI: data offset: 2048
UBI: attached mtd1 to ubi0
UBI: MTD device name: "mtd=3"
UBI: MTD device size: 91 MiB
UBI: number of good PEBs: 728
UBI: number of bad PEBs: 0
UBI: max. allowed volumes: 128
UBI: wear-leveling threshold: 4096
UBI: number of internal volumes: 1
UBI: number of user volumes: 0
UBI: available PEBs: 717
UBI: total number of reserved PEBs: 11
UBI: number of PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 7
UBI: max/mean erase counter: 1/1
UBIFS error (pid 0): ubifs_get_sb: cannot open "ubi:rootfs", error -19
Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:rootfs'!
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
1 bytes read
Found bootable drive on usb 0:1
Loading file "/boot/uImage" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
2624664 bytes read
Loading file "/boot/uInitrd" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)
** File not found /boot/uInitrd
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
Image Name: Linux-2.6.39-ARCH
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 2624600 Bytes = 2.5 MiB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...
monkeygroover

Postby loafy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 am

I have been having the same problem - using the Pink instructions based on the exchange in viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2133&p=11454#p11455 but I have yet to get the unit to reboot with the flash drive in place with the system installed on it.

I've tried various types of flash drives with the latest one being a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB as suggested in http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1915,6235#msg-6235

the only way to get the unit to come back is to remove the flash drive and reboot it.

I'm ready to throw in the towel so any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
loafy

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood