Boot fails with USB drive connected using GPT [Pogoplug E02]

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Boot fails with USB drive connected using GPT [Pogoplug E02]

Postby Ethereal » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:25 am

I don't know where the uboot bug tracker is so I am posting this here:

How to reproduce:
Using pogoplug E02 with USB flash OS drive inserted, and USB external drive connected (3Tb seagate backup plus, single GPT partition), boot the pogoplug. In my configuration, the 3Tb drive is connected to the first queried USB port.

Expected behavior:
Boots from USB flash OS drive

Observed Behavior:
Hangs at the following stage:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'U-Boot 2011.12 (Feb 20 2012 - 21:21:59)
Pogoplug E02
arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 4.4.1
GNU ld (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
(Re)start USB...
USB: Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices... 2 Storage Device(s) found
Loading file "/rescueme" from usb device 0:1 (usbda1)')
My off-the-cuff guess is that uBoot doesn't handle GPT formatted drives correctly when searching for "rescueme" or doesn't have in-built support for GPT and thus hangs. One workaround idea is to do a check for GPT and refuse to inspect if GPT is found.
Ethereal

Re: Boot fails with USB drive connected using GPT [Pogoplug

Postby hydro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Ethereal', 't')he 3Tb drive is connected to the first queried USB port.

Avoid, if possible. Switching ports is probably the easiest solution. Another solution may be to create a hybrid MBR on the 3Tb drive, so uBoot can read from it as well. On my DockStar I have a hybrid MBR on the GPT-USB flash OS drive to make uBoot load the kernel from it as described here. I know that's a different setup, and my initial uboot error message was also different from yours.
VDR on DockStar / Pogoplug E02: http://linux.bplaced.net/
hydro

Postby Ethereal » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:36 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('hydro', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Ethereal', 't')he 3Tb drive is connected to the first queried USB port.

Avoid, if possible. Switching ports is probably the easiest solution. Another solution may be to create a hybrid MBR on the 3Tb drive, so uBoot can read from it as well. On my DockStar I have a hybrid MBR on the GPT-USB flash OS drive to make uBoot load the kernel from it as described here. I know that's a different setup, and my initial uboot error message was also different from yours.

Yeah, I know it's a fairly easy way to avoid the issue but I'd like to file a bug to get it fixed anyway. Of course I will just use the proper port in the meantime.
Ethereal

Postby hydro » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I think u-boot was compiled without CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION.
http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p ... b;f=README
VDR on DockStar / Pogoplug E02: http://linux.bplaced.net/
hydro

Postby bferg88 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:27 am

I believe I am observing this problem as well, but on the Pogoplug Series 4.

However, switching ports is not an option as it only boots from the connections on the top of the device -- one SATA, and the USB from which I am booting. Same as OP, I have a Seagate Backup Plus (1TB) ntfs-formatted that I would like to have plugged in at boot. I tested with an older external Seagate ntfs-formatted and it managed to work -- perhaps this is because it doesn't use the GPT style partition table(?).

Thanks much!

EDIT: I no longer believe my Seagate Backup+ uses the GPT style partition table, as I checked it using Windows 7 disk management tool.

EDIT: The only difference I have observed is that my Backup Plus uses USB 3.0.
bferg88

Return to U-Boot/Kernel