[iConnect] USB boot and Arch install without serial cable

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [iConnect] USB boot and Arch install without serial cabl

Postby blaetschie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:42 am

Is there any way for a connection with my 100 mbit switch?
I tried to set the speed with ethtool but it doesn't work. I can only set the speed für eth1 but not for eth0.
i installed this manually with my ubuntu virtualbox on the "alarm stick" to get ethtool.
http://archlinuxarm.org/arm/extra/ethto ... pkg.tar.xz

In rc.conf i set to static ip and i am able to connect with a crossover cable.

Excuse my bad english.
Greets from germany
blaetschie

Postby babadagi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm using script and prepare usb flash for the Archlinux boot. everythings is okey..
but the device does not boot properly. i think dhcp problem, log says

Nov 3 14:22:54 alarm kernel: [ 46.347810] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

Please help. What can i do?
babadagi

Postby patrice » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 am

i apologize for my poor english :D
i do it and all is OK , but not out of the box :cry:

the procedure for ssh is ok , the script run well and when i reboot i loose my ssh (it's normal) and the network
won't start correctly :

so i detach mu usb hdd and plug it on my netbook to see the log
it appears that eth0 is 1000Mb/s with no autoneg and my box operate at 100Mb/s :cry:
i also see eth1 (perhaps it's a virtual interface over eth0) autoneg is operationnal on eth1
i was unable to use wlan0 (i have error in the log)

to recover the network
i extract http://archlinuxarm.org/arm/core/linux-firmware-20110822-1-any.pkg.tar.xz on my usb hdd to have all the firmware

then i add a line in rc.local
/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

the option -B run the process as demon (in the background) , thanks to igorert :wink:

and i modify /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to reflect my box config for wifi (you must adapt for you)
network={
ssid="Livebox-xxxx"
priority=2
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
proto=WPA2
pairwise=CCMP
}

in rc.conf i add :

interface=wlan0
address=192.168.1.16
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.1.1

i plug an usb wifi key ( connectland WIRE-N-USB-R based on the rtl8712u.bin firmware)
and when i boot i have the network in archlinux with this usb wifi key on wlan0 (with this key , the internal wifi is on wlan1)

so now i can connect with ssh
i must add a route to go to the net
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 wlan0 (i don't know why rc.conf didn't do that)
pacman -Suy
and now i a on archlinux with kernel 3.0 :mrgreen:

i install nginx + pluxml and i put my blog on-line :mrgreen:
http://pichat.fr.nf

I hope this would be helpfull for those with network problem with arch on iconnect
Last edited by patrice on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrice

Postby minscof » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

I think LEDs don't work because the arcNumber is still 1682, and it must be 2870. Maybe, it is possible to change the install procedure to change this arcNumber.

I hope this can help.
minscof

Postby igorert » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Sorry, for some reason I only got notification email for the last post here but not the previous ones.

I actually have working code for a module that controls iconnect's LEDs without changing the arcNumber; I guess I can try cleaning it up and submitting to archlinuxarm if anybody else expresses interest in it.

As for the networking problems some folks are having, I'm afraid I can't immediately offer any advice other than what's in the previous post. The problem here is that we're loading the kernel code for the reference board, which does have two ethernet ports (hence the ghost eth1 you're seeing) and eth0 is initialized slightly differently than in the native iconnect code. Since it all happens in the platform-specific code, I'm not entirely sure how/if it can be changed without changing the arcNumber (which I consider undesirable since then the Iomega's stock kernel won't boot). As luck would have it, I've no problems with networking in my setup so I can't even easily test these things out...
igorert

Postby kmihelich » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:15 am

Those numbers are registered and maintained here:
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/

They are for specific boards, and there is a central registry for the very obvious reasons. As such, I can save you some time and tell you categorically that I will not implement changes to the kernel to make the iConnect work under an ID for another board. Under the correct ID for us, thus using the correct board initialization, the LEDs should be accessible via /sys/class/leds. This is the way it should be done, and is the way it's done for other platforms.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby nicebloom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Hey Guys,
Just got this device to play around. Just have been curious if anybody can boot with multiple usb devices attached to the device? Mine is booting to the stock firmware. Only if I plug in the usb stick arch is installed on (and only this one) arch will boot up fine. Otherwise it will boot the stock firmware. I have played around with some uboot variables but have not figured out what is going on.
Does anybody has an advice?

Thanks,

nIcE
nicebloom

Postby epyonite » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 pm

I am also only able to boot to arch when it is the only device plugged in, I believe our problem lies in this part of the code.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
function setup_usb_boot
{
setenv usb_scan_1 'setenv usb 0:1; setenv dev sda1'
setenv usb_scan_2 'setenv usb 1:1; setenv dev sdb1'
setenv usb_scan_3 'setenv usb 2:1; setenv dev sdc1'
setenv usb_scan_4 'setenv usb 3:1; setenv dev sdd1'
setenv usb_scan_5 'setenv usb 0:1; setenv dev sda2'
setenv usb_scan_6 'setenv usb 1:1; setenv dev sdb2'
setenv usb_scan_7 'setenv usb 2:1; setenv dev sdc2'
setenv usb_scan_8 'setenv usb 3:1; setenv dev sdd2'

setenv bootcmd_usb_1 'run usb_scan_1;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /boot/uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_2 'run usb_scan_2;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /boot/uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_3 'run usb_scan_3;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /boot/uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_4 'run usb_scan_4;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /boot/uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_5 'run usb_scan_5;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_6 'run usb_scan_6;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_7 'run usb_scan_7;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /uImage;bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootcmd_usb_8 'run usb_scan_8;run make_usb_bootargs;ext2load usb $(usb) 0x00800000 /uImage;bootm 0x00800000'

setenv make_usb_bootargs 'setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/$(dev) rootdelay=10'

setenv bootcmd_usb 'usb start;run bootcmd_usb_1;run bootcmd_usb_2;run bootcmd_usb_3;run bootcmd_usb_4;run bootcmd_usb_5;run bootcmd_usb_6;run bootcmd_usb_7;run bootcmd_usb_8'

setenv bootcmd 'run bootcmd_usb; run flash_load'
}
')

I am currently working on booting based on UUID instead of trying all /dev/sd* devices, unfortunately I am not very familiar with uboot so I cannot remove old things already added to the uboot, only change them. I will update you once I find out if this will work or not.
epyonite

Postby nicebloom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Hey,

I had tracked it down, to one of my usb hdd crashing the uboot usb stack and it just finds no suitable boot device at all. Hooked up another drive and all went fine.

Deleting a variable in uboot is quite easy, if you got access through serial access (i believe also fw_setenv could do it), you just have to issue setenv and the variable you want to delete without any assigment, for example
in uboot:
setenv archNumber
')
in linux
fw_setenv archNumber
')
this will delete the variable archNumber.
I had to use it in the last days, because of an spelling error.

And the code you are talking about, just scans all devices and tries to boot of them, the code is fine, not elgeant but it works with uboot. It is something like "It should be there so try to boot, if it fails proceed with the next option". I also thought about this earlier but it is all fine.
When I am near my Iconnect I will post the message of uboot crashing while the external hdd is hooked up.
nicebloom

Postby nicebloom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 pm

This happens to me:
http://pastebin.com/hDh6B0iB
It only happens if the iomega drive is hooked up.
:x Somehow it drives me crazy, because I want to use this drive as storage for the server and boot from another usb stick right away. It works with any other drive attached, also with an additional usb hub hooked up and a ton of usb devices connected to it, except the Iomega drive. So any suggestions?
nicebloom

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices