[chroot] HP TouchPad

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [chroot] HP TouchPad

Postby Varemenos » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 am

I hope for this project to succeed!
Varemenos

Postby dodgejcr » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Varemenos', 'I') hope for this project to succeed!

As am I. I am currently using the test from the github and I thank you for that. Im not to cunning when it comes to chroot or any of this fancy work but I am here to test whatever you throw at me. If you need me PM or email me. I will be glad to test to help this project along. Thank you very much for working on this.
dodgejcr

Postby Varemenos » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:29 pm

I did a git clone to get the files on my pc and then placed them in the directory specified in the README file but when i run xterm and xserver from executah i cant get ArchLinux to run (i dont see it in the Executah menu), and if i try to launch it manually from the app menu it just runs in a 'mobile sized' screen and tells me that it requires a ext3fs partition to be installed at.

I've already prepared the ext3fs partition (since i already installed Ubuntu 11.04 in it and then uninstalled it and deleted everything inside the ext3fs directory).

Any help guyz?
Varemenos

Postby mrmylanman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

If you put it in /usr/palm/applications, then here's what I did to get it running. Sort of hackish, but I don't know how to get it to show up in Xecutah.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount -o remount,rw / # Remount the root directory with read/write permissions
sh /usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script # This will download the ALARM chroot environment
sh /usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/bin/chroot-wrapper.sh # Chroot to ALARM')

Not clean, but without Xecutah listing it's the best way I found to go into it.
mrmylanman

Postby Varemenos » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:51 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. when i try to run this line:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sh /usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script')

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'im getting these errors:
: not found application/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script : line 2:
: not found application/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script : line 4:
: not found application/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script : line 6:
: not found application/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script : line 8:
: not found application/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script : line 10:
/usr/palm/application/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/pmPostInstall.script : line 41: syntax error: unexpected end of file (expecting "then")')
Varemenos

Postby dodgejcr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Varemenos', 'I') did a git clone to get the files on my pc and then placed them in the directory specified in the README file but when i run xterm and xserver from executah i cant get ArchLinux to run (i dont see it in the Executah menu), and if i try to launch it manually from the app menu it just runs in a 'mobile sized' screen and tells me that it requires a ext3fs partition to be installed at.

I've already prepared the ext3fs partition (since i already installed Ubuntu 11.04 in it and then uninstalled it and deleted everything inside the ext3fs directory).

Any help guyz?

I just noticed that the README has the directory a little off. Applications install to /media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/applications/ by default so that should probably be fixed. This chroot will not tie into xecutah as the developers of xecutah need to add this as a supported application. Best way to run it is dump the folder to the above directory and execute the pmPostInstall script which will download and untar the rootfs. The rootfs will remain in /media/ext3fs/alarm-chroot/. Once all that is done, you can start the chroot anytime by using xterm. Just run $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/bin/chroot-wrapper.sh')

If all this seems a little much, I made a packaged version of this that you can install with either preware marketplace or webOS quick install. It takes a while to install as it grabs the rootfs and unpackages it during the install but it will install correctly. This also hooks into xecutah and can be launched using that. To get it to launch using xecutah, you have to edit one file after xecutah is installed but its not very hard.

Packaged ipk for the chroot

I use Internalz Pro (available in preware). Once you have that installed go and open up /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xectuah/app/assistants/main-assistant.js
in that file you will see a little bit of code but you only have to add one line which you can do thru the Internalz application. Below is the line I added and where I put it.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
this.supportedApps =
[
'org.webosinternals.xterm',
'org.webosinternals.ubuntu-natty-chroot',
'org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot',
'org.webosinternals.debian-squeeze-chroot',
];
}')

As you can see, I added the package name of the arch linux chroot [org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot] in the same format as the others. Be sure to put the apostrophes and the comma at the end. Once that is done save and close. You should be able to open xecutah and launch the chroot from there. This will work with the newest xecutah as they have changed the way the chroots run. Good luck!
dodgejcr

Postby Varemenos » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:17 am

Thanks man, seems like i got the directory wrong, once i placed them in the folder in:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/media/cryptofs/app/usr/palm/applications/')
and run:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.crimsonredmk.alarm-chroot/bin/chroot-wrapper.sh')

It worked perfectly :D

I will try your ipk later as well

edit: btw, does anyone know a way to navigate in nano (mostly change lines) without using the arrow keys?
Varemenos

Postby dodgejcr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:26 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Varemenos', '
')edit: btw, does anyone know a way to navigate in nano (mostly change lines) without using the arrow keys?

I have tried but its not really possible without an external keyboard. I just find it easier to install a DE and use a lightweight text editor. Leafpad works well but I wish nano was usable.
dodgejcr

Postby Varemenos » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dodgejcr', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Varemenos', '
')edit: btw, does anyone know a way to navigate in nano (mostly change lines) without using the arrow keys?

I have tried but its not really possible without an external keyboard. I just find it easier to install a DE and use a lightweight text editor. Leafpad works well but I wish nano was usable.

Actually, i just remembered you can navigate with the keyboard by using vi.

H= left
J= up
K= down
L= right

though i still cant manage to find rc.conf, and also make archlinux automatically login to user instead of root
my website
Varemenos

Postby mrmylanman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 am

The xserver in Xecutah has arrow keys. Hold U and the special U keys are arrow keys. I just found that out last night, which helped a lot so I don't have to plug in the bluetooth keyboard every time I want to use nano.
mrmylanman

Next

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices