[ALPHA 2 - DEC 22] Arch Linux ARM + Gnome 3

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [OFFICIAL] [NATIVE] HP TouchPad

Postby Nolhian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 pm

My vote is on E17 with ELFE :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgE6gkb2EE&t=0m33s

Looks awesome to me !
Nolhian

Postby kmihelich » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Haha.. indeed, I have stripped down a lot of the gloss and fuss that comes default, but there is a lot of KDE4 that is there, just not in my face all the time. I prefer to use the maximum amount of my screen real estate for applications and getting work done, not a stack of widgets. My philosophy is that if you can see your desktop background, you're not working hard enough ;)

I do like the enlightenment demo in that youtube video, pretty impressive and very much like what you expect from something like Android. If we can actually get this stable and working, being able to choose how you run your tablet is an awesome idea. Linux is all about choice after all.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby amenditman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:29 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Nolhian', 'M')y vote is on E17 with ELFE :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgE6gkb2EE&t=0m33s

Looks awesome to me !

That is from Jeff Hoogland, lead developer of Bodhi Linux. The touchscreen/tablet converter is a pet project of his.
Also, see this video, by Jeff using Bodhi Linux with Enlightenment DE on a Nokia N900.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jeffhooglan ... jnZhRH4ZgU
That's an ARM processor folks.
This is really doable.

Jeff is a frequent visitor at Bruno's All Things Linux where I hang out. If you want to interview him for tips/tricks I will try to introduce you and set it up.
amenditman

Postby amenditman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('crimsonredmk', 'Y')eah, definitely want to package something up into a nicer bundle soon. Too bad I have exams now until mid-December!
Right with you there. But I am willing to throw some time at this. Late nights and some weekends I can squeeze out an hour or two at a time. Over the Winter break I will have a bunch of time.
Can't wait for my special usb cables to arrive.
amenditman

Postby amenditman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('crimsonredmk', 'S')ame here. Winter break is when all of this will happen. I've heard rumors that CyanogenMod is planning to release sources around that time too, just in case we can't get something working, we'll have another resource.

Native ArchLinux installed much more desireable than just a better version of Android.
amenditman

Postby amenditman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 am

I have been reading up on KDE PLasma Active and watching a bunch of the newer YT videos.
It looks amazing.

I still think we should try to stick to the Arch K.I.S.S. method and package that up seperately from the base install. That way anyone can build it into whatever they want.
amenditman

Postby vitusya » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:00 am

Would wait for some stable release... but i think its will be unusable for tablet purpose)) even with good UI i cant imagine control linux apps with touch, hope im wrong)) Would it be dreamy to have Arch and android market))

Will there some performance advantages native over chroot? and how smooth chroot works?

I love Arch, its my primary OS, but for now waiting more for android ICS if ever will be released for HP.
vitusya

Postby Varemenos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:58 pm

isnt there a way to make a simple application that after arch-arm is installed to let you choose which DE to download and install by using Touchpad's volume +, -, menu + power buttons to navigate?
Varemenos

Postby kmihelich » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Touch interfaces on desktop Linux are still pretty young from what I see overall. But crimsonredmk is right, there has to be something there to begin with. Whenever we get to the point where the device is usable and we've made accessible all of the features and controls, the best idea in my opinion would be to just test out the most promising from the pack and go with a default DE that provides the best out-of-the-box experience.

Even with the devices we support right now, if you've been browsing the forum it's not hard to see that many in our user base are more than intimidated by Linux, with many having this distro as their first foray outside of Windows or whatever OS has been handed to them on the equipment they own. Arch KISS principles are great, and I do try to keep to them, but you also have to consider the technical aptitude of your user base and the fact that you're not playing in the relatively easy x86 land anymore.

We're still a good way off from full functionality anyway.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby Falcone » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:02 am

...thanks for the progress! Finally something usable on the TouchPad, in terms of functionality. (donated)
Falcone

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices