I should probably update. I've had arch linux running nicely on the mele a1000. At the moment X11 is not running due to lack of fb driver.
What I did at the time:
follow instructions from here to install a minimal debian image:http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/a10_image/
that involves getting and installing these images:http://hands.com/~lkcl/mele_uboot.imghttp://hands.com/~lkcl/mele_boot_part.cpio.gzhttp://hands.com/~lkcl/mele_debian_armh ... al.cpio.gz
I made sure the debian image booted.
Then, I remounted on PC, made a tarball of /lib/modules/3.0.8+.
I wiped the debian partition, grabbed the latest OMAP image:http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM ... est.tar.gz
extracted that onto the sdcard, then extracted the 3.0.8+ modules onto that.
Arch linux boots just fine into the system (you definitely need a usb tty device).
I then downloaded the kernel from https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/
built it (had make some gcc-4.7 specific fixes) "make uImage", copied uImage to the uboot partition and booted the kernel. This creates a 3.0.31+ kernel.
So this is all a bit ugly. I've had some personal things to deal with in addition to real work so I haven't fixed this up yet.
Just for fun I compiled jagged alliance 2 stracciatella branch, copied over the data files and ran it over a tunnelled X11 ssh connection. Everything seems to be running stable.
Update: changed the order of the module loading and have 1280x720-60 framebuffer working. It overscans on my monitor here though, but seems to be working. Sound over HDMI isnt' yet though.