ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby snija » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Actually, if you could provide a kernel which boots from mmcblk0p3, that would be nice.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', 'I')f all you want is just to get it working on the sd card, then you can do what I did:
Follow the instructions on your sd card from http://blogs.arm.com/software-enablemen ... hromebook/

You can use the archlinux-rootfs that I packed a few days ago: alarm-rootfs.tar.gz

However, when executing $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
echo "console=tty1 debug verbose root=/dev/mmcblk1p3 rootwait rw" > /tmp/config

vbutil_kernel --pack /tmp/newkern --keyblock /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel.keyblock --version 1 --signprivate /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel_data_key.vbprivk --config=/tmp/config --vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0 --arch arm')
substitute /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.0 with the vmlinuz found in /boot inside the package linux-chromebook. Then keep following the tutorial.

Or, you could also use the kernel that I compiled a few days ago and just dd it into KERN-A and KERN-B of your sd card: alarm_kernel

EDIT: Once you boot into your new system, your wifi may not work. Follow the instructions that I described a few replies ago in this topic.
snija

Postby dutra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I generated this one which should boot from mmcblk0p3: alarm_kernel_k0

I left a few other kernel images in the same folder (without debug, without verbose). Let me know if it works.

Also, were you able to get alsa working?
dutra

Postby dutra » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 am

After following the instructions to configure X from this website: http://craigerrington.com/blog/installi ... hromebook/ , I modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf to include two more lines: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "on"')
You can read more about it from man synaptics

With the described configuration, one finger click corresponds the mouse left button, two finger click to the middle button, and three finger click to the right button. And you can scroll a page either vertically or horizontally by dragging your two fingers.

You should also install acpi and acpid and change /etc/acpi/handler.sh to include $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'systemctl suspend') after the line "logger 'LID closed'", so your chromebook suspends when you close the lid.

I also noticed that my chromebook display was not coming back on when the screen went off due to inactivity, forcing me to do a hard poweroff. So I added "xset s off" into my .xinitrc to prevent this behavior. I'm not sure how to correctly fix it though.

I will try to get the hdmi output and the brightness buttons to work when I have more free time (xbacklight returns "No outputs have backlight property"). Was anyone able to properly set up the video drive? I am using fbdev. Any alternatives?
dutra

Postby snija » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 pm

No, but from time to time, i hear some noise from my chromebook. Do you get the same problem?
It's really annoying, it's a fanless laptop, it should be noiseless, but now……
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', 'I') generated this one which should boot from mmcblk0p3: alarm_kernel_k0

I left a few other kernel images in the same folder (without debug, without verbose). Let me know if it works.

Also, were you able to get alsa working?
snija

Postby dutra » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm

No, I installed it in the emmc and it makes no noise whatsoever. Same when I installed in the SD card. However, I followed the alsa instructions (on using DAISY-I2S) then muted all my channels just in case, until someone can confirm which channels should be set -- or until I have more time to figure it out. Did you upgrade your system with "pacman -Syu"?
dutra

Postby snija » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:11 pm

No, i did not upgrade the whole system. Because there's another thread mentioned there are some problems with the new firmware.http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5021
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', 'N')o, I installed it in the emmc and it makes no noise whatsoever. Same when I installed in the SD card. However, I followed the alsa instructions (on using DAISY-I2S) then muted all my channels just in case, until someone can confirm which channels should be set -- or until I have more time to figure it out. Did you upgrade your system with "pacman -Syu"?
snija

Postby dutra » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('snija', 'N')o, i did not upgrade the whole system. Because there's another thread mentioned there are some problems with the new firmware.http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5021
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', 'N')o, I installed it in the emmc and it makes no noise whatsoever. Same when I installed in the SD card. However, I followed the alsa instructions (on using DAISY-I2S) then muted all my channels just in case, until someone can confirm which channels should be set -- or until I have more time to figure it out. Did you upgrade your system with "pacman -Syu"?

Yes, but you just need to edit /etc/pacman.conf, uncomment the line "IgnorePkg =" and add "wpa_supplicant libnl" to it, as $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'IgnorePkg = wpa_supplicant libnl')

I can confirm that after changing /etc/pacman.conf as I suggested, and running pacman -Syy and pacman -Syu, I successfully did a system upgrade and everything seems to be working well.
dutra

Postby sinc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', '
')I will try to get the hdmi output and the brightness buttons to work when I have more free time (xbacklight returns "No outputs have backlight property"). Was anyone able to properly set up the video drive? I am using fbdev. Any alternatives?

I've been changing brightness via ACPI.
I added
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'chmod a+w /sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness')
to /etc/rc.local to add write permissions to the backlight file and use a couple of hotkeyed scripts to increase/decrease brightness. E.g. scripts like the ones here work fine with the paths changed, BRIGHT_INCREMENT set to an appropriate value, and MIN_BRIGHT to 0 (if you'd like to be able to turn off the backlight).

XFCE's "Brightness Panel Plugin" also works if you're using XFCE.

edit: Just realized you were asking about video drivers, not brightness -_- Anyway, the alternative is the armsoc driver, which Chrome OS uses, but it's slower than the fbdev driver since 2d acceleration doesn't work properly. Take a look at Siarhei Siamashka's comments in this video and in this post for more info.
sinc

Postby dutra » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm

"pacman -Syu" broke my wireless (again), even ignoring wpa_supplicant and libnl. It seems that the new linux-chromebook was responsible for it.

Edit: I downgraded linux-chromebook and linux-headers-chromebook and my wireless is working again.
dutra

Postby stronnag » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sinc', '
')edit: Just realized you were asking about video drivers, not brightness -_- Anyway, the alternative is the armsoc driver, which Chrome OS uses, but it's slower than the fbdev driver since 2d acceleration doesn't work properly. Take a look at Siarhei Siamashka's comments in this video and in this post for more info.

Not slower here. WIth the IEFish HTML Test, I get c. 20 FPS with fbdev and 30 FPS with armsoc (with the latest kernel) and a wired USB eth0 as wireless now not working. Here
stronnag

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices