ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby m0g » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to run the xf86-video-armsoc.
I've install xf86-video-armsoc & created the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf with this inside:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Section "Device"
Identifier "Mali FBDEV"
Driver "armsoc"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
Option "Fimg2DExa" "false"
Option "DRI2" "true"
Option "DRI2_PAGE_FLIP" "false"
Option "DRI2_WAIT_VSYNC" "true"
# Option "Fimg2DExaSolid" "false"
# Option "Fimg2DExaCopy" "false"
# Option "Fimg2DExaComposite" "false"
Option "SWcursorLCD" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "DefaultScreen"
Device "Mali FBDEV"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection')

But so far the driver is performing really badly (slow scroll in terminal and so on). Does anybody have an idea why ?

Thanks
m0g

Postby xenoxaos » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:10 pm

It's because DRI doesn't work on the driver. The driver was originally written for X 1.12 and we're up to 1.13.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook - Libreoffice

Postby stronnag » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 pm

I built LibreOffice 3.6.4 using a lightly modified version of the Arch mainline PKGBUILD. It took about 7.5 hours (build directory on USB3 disk, with -j2 ), including packaging, and includes all architecture specific packages. From my limited testing, it works really well. You can add localisation from the mainline libreoffice-xx-NN-3.6.4-1-any.pkg.tar.xz packages (en_GB is fine here).

Currently, the binary packages are hosted on my ISP web hosting at http://seyrsnys.myzen.co.uk/arm-lo-3.6.4, you should get a directory listing from which you can download what you need. wget -r may also work. In future, I may add a binary PKGBUILD to the AUR, though I'm not promising to maintain it.

Grateful thanks to AndyRTR for an excellent mainline PKGBUILD, the only changes were to remove junit and fixup the md5sum of a patch that had changed in git since the mainline release.

A great test of the Chromebook build, which ran at dual core 100% CPU almost the entire time.

The packages are:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'total 73M
1.5M libreoffice-base-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
4.0M libreoffice-calc-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
47M libreoffice-common-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
4.0K libreoffice-draw-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
6.3M libreoffice-en-US-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
152K libreoffice-extension-nlpsolver-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
356K libreoffice-extension-pdfimport-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
208K libreoffice-extension-presentation-minimizer-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
324K libreoffice-extension-presenter-screen-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
2.1M libreoffice-extension-report-builder-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
88K libreoffice-extension-scripting-python-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
680K libreoffice-extension-wiki-publisher-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
316K libreoffice-gnome-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
100K libreoffice-impress-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
48K libreoffice-kde4-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
248K libreoffice-math-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
184K libreoffice-postgresql-connector-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
20K libreoffice-scripting-beanshell-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
592K libreoffice-scripting-javascript-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
1.9M libreoffice-sdk-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
4.5M libreoffice-sdk-doc-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
2.4M libreoffice-writer-3.6.4-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz
')
stronnag

Postby 27supergoats » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 am

This is great! Thanks archlinux, I now have a reasonably serviceable ARM powered notebook.

I'm using the generic fbdev video driver which seems to be a bit faster than the current armsoc without DRI. The display doesn't wake up again after power saving kicks in but I can just suspend cycle it to get it back, and suspend itself is super fast and reliable, I have it mapped to the power key and the lid close event. Generic GB keyboard works fine, but it would be nice to map the search key to caps lock.

I do have a problem with sound though, because I'd like to use usb audio devices and while I can see them with lsusb, the alsa module hasn't been loaded. I tried to load snd_usb_audio and got this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'snd_usb_audio': Exec format error
')
I have been trying to rebuild the alsa kernel modules but I'm new to arch and I don't know which headers package I need for this system, or if there is a specific alsa source tree I should be building. If anyone can give me a couple of pointers here that would be awesome.
27supergoats

Postby relghuar » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi, I haven't played with sound much, working internal audio makes me more than happy :-) As for your problem with display not turning on again, I've experienced that as well, only full suspend or power cycle could turn it on again. That's caused by DPMS in X server. If you turn it off ("xset -dpms") the problem goes away, however you might have to play with backlight driver a bit to get the display to actually turn off for power saving instead of just blanking. A few scripts writing 0/1 to /sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/bl_power can take care of that just fine...
Regards,
rel

PS: I forgot about your CapsLock problem :-) Search key has key code 133 in X, so something like following command in your .xinitrc should take care of that easily (maybe you'll also have to clear original CapsLock from key 66, not sure about that):
xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = Caps_Lock NoSymbol Caps_Lock"
relghuar

Postby xenoxaos » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:22 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('crimsonredmk', 'I') really hope we get better graphics support at some point...I think the trackpad on Linux is much better than ChromeOS, what do you guys think?

HE"S ALIVE!!!!

Also, the touchpad seems finicky for me in both.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby relghuar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Depends on how you define finicky :-)
I'm actually pretty content with its responsiveness, the only problem is its size. I activate it by accident quite frequently, it gets most annoying while working in terminal. It's turning off while I'm writing, but I still manage from to click it from time to time with a palm during a longer pause in writing. Also, with "turn off while writing" feature I can't switch from keyboard to touchpad as fast as I'm used to, so it's a bit annoying.
Better graphics would definitely be a huge improvement, at least basic 2D acceleration in X, too bad I have no time for it now.
Regards,
Peter

PS: I write this from archlinux on chrome ;-) (XFCE4, chromium browser)
relghuar

Postby 27supergoats » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 am

Cool, I have a Caps Lock key now, although oddly in the terminal it's keycode 125 and in X it's 133. I've got sound working on my USB headset now too. I just took the alsa usb audio module from Chrome OS and it worked fine. But I've realised Skype is out of the question and even google hangout I'd probably have to build myself. My proper 4 channel external soundcard still doesn't show up on /proc/asound/cards at all.
27supergoats

Postby syntaxing » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:37 am

Ahah if it speeds up the development of ALARM on the chromebook, as a Mechanical Engineer student, I can help you out with some thermal :P
syntaxing

Postby stronnag » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Building a custom kernel.
As the default (Chromos) kernel was missing a few things I needs (mainly some file systems for external disks), as well as a BT GPS and USB GSM Modem not appearing to work (actually, no having the latter two may have been user error), I decided to follow the instructions from Olof Johansson https://plus.google.com/109993695638569781190/posts/34PYU79eUqP and build a custom kernel. The only Arch specific items of note are to use the uboot-mkimage and dtc packages from the AUR, which need makepkg -Ai, as they're not currently setup for arm7h. Other than that, it's pretty simple, just follow the instructions. Now my toys work with the chromebook in Arch.
stronnag

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices