ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: ALARM on Samsung ARM Chromebook

Postby stronnag » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', '&')quot;pacman -Syu" broke my wireless (again), even ignoring wpa_supplicant and libnl. It seems that the new linux-chromebook was responsible for it.

Edit: I downgraded linux-chromebook and linux-headers-chromebook and my wireless is working again.

Having the same problem, I noticed a dmesg line about s5p firmware neither compiled in the kernel nor loadable. So I found the files from https://github.com/cernekee/linux-firmware and it works again, without having to touch wpa-supplicant or libnl. Perhaps the firmware had been included in the prior kernel?
stronnag

Postby sinc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('stronnag', '
')Not slower here. WIth the IEFish HTML Test, I get c. 20 FPS with fbdev and 30 FPS with armsoc (with the latest kernel) and a wired USB eth0 as wireless now not working. Here

Does the test appear to be running at 30 fps as well? I actually got the same framerates as you, but for me, armsoc looks much choppier (probably something like 10 fps) even though it reports 30 FPS. I just assumed the FPS reading was incorrect.
sinc

Postby dutra » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Your suggestion on the brightness actually helped me. Thank you very much.

I was also able to set up alsa and it is working great. I set up xbindkeys for the brightness keys and for volume control. If you're not aware of it, please read: http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2012/1 ... hromebook/

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sinc', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', '
')I will try to get the hdmi output and the brightness buttons to work when I have more free time (xbacklight returns "No outputs have backlight property"). Was anyone able to properly set up the video drive? I am using fbdev. Any alternatives?

I've been changing brightness via ACPI.
I added
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'chmod a+w /sys/class/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness')
to /etc/rc.local to add write permissions to the backlight file and use a couple of hotkeyed scripts to increase/decrease brightness. E.g. scripts like the ones here work fine with the paths changed, BRIGHT_INCREMENT set to an appropriate value, and MIN_BRIGHT to 0 (if you'd like to be able to turn off the backlight).

XFCE's "Brightness Panel Plugin" also works if you're using XFCE.

edit: Just realized you were asking about video drivers, not brightness -_- Anyway, the alternative is the armsoc driver, which Chrome OS uses, but it's slower than the fbdev driver since 2d acceleration doesn't work properly. Take a look at Siarhei Siamashka's comments in this video and in this post for more info.
dutra

Postby tedm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 pm

got pretty close to installing arch on the samsung chromebook yesterday with help from folks on irc - we found that the latest image is a few bytes too big for an 8GB sd card. I managed to find a 16gb usb stick, but upon boot it complained with some gpt errors that the image was smaller than the drive.

moved the drive to a linux machine and stretched it in gparted to fill the 16gb usb stick, still froze on boot, with a screen of error messages, did use the cgpt toggles to try to get it to boot. Will be trying again today and this weekend to get it to boot on the usb stick, and have sd cards (16gb) coming in the mail next week.
tedm

Postby stronnag » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sinc', '
')Does the test appear to be running at 30 fps as well? I actually got the same framerates as you, but for me, armsoc looks much choppier (probably something like 10 fps) even though it reports 30 FPS. I just assumed the FPS reading was incorrect.

I felt is was smoother (much more so) with armsoc. The CPU usage was higher (both cores near 100%, vice one core at 100% on fbdev). Still armsoc has other issues, not least the death of X on resume.
stronnag

Postby dutra » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Is the hdmi output recognized with armsoc? It isn't with fbdev.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('stronnag', 'I') felt is was smoother (much more so) with armsoc. The CPU usage was higher (both cores near 100%, vice one core at 100% on fbdev). Still armsoc has other issues, not least the death of X on resume.
dutra

Postby stronnag » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dutra', 'I')s the hdmi output recognized with armsoc? It isn't with fbdev.

Yes, but is is not usable. With fbdev HDMI is dumbly mirrored. With armsoc it is recognised as a separate display, but appears largely unusable, particularly when it leads to kernel panics.
stronnag

Postby tedm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 pm

got archlinux img to install on 16gb sd card, boots fine, wifi-setup worked, pacman -S nano worked, next tried to pacman -S and Syu gcc, but it failed with some 404 errors.

After a few other tries, got a prompt to replace core-dbus with dbus/core which is loading several dozen utilities, that look useful.

A couple of warnings from core:

error: failed retriving xxx.tar.xz from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : Operation too slow. Less than 1024 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds.

Should I retry an update/upgrade later, or are there still known issues take out of the repositories?

Thanks!
tedm

Postby tedm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 am

Curious if anyone has compiled this for chromebook arm $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'http://code.google.com/p/byte-unixbench/downloads/list') as moonman did for the arm5 on the pogo / plug devices forum.

I don't have gcc up and running yet. Thanks.
tedm

Postby dutra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 am

The issues I have seen so far are wpa_supplicant, libnl, linux-chromebook and linux-headers-chromebook

For your 404 problems: every time you use pacman, do a pacman -Syy first.

And my gcc (and everything else) is up and running here.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tedm', 'g')ot archlinux img to install on 16gb sd card, boots fine, wifi-setup worked, pacman -S nano worked, next tried to pacman -S and Syu gcc, but it failed with some 404 errors.

After a few other tries, got a prompt to replace core-dbus with dbus/core which is loading several dozen utilities, that look useful.

A couple of warnings from core:

error: failed retriving xxx.tar.xz from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : Operation too slow. Less than 1024 bytes/sec transferred the last 10 seconds.

Should I retry an update/upgrade later, or are there still known issues take out of the repositories?

Thanks!
dutra

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices