[RESOLVED] How to change the bootargs after a re-extracting

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

[RESOLVED] How to change the bootargs after a re-extracting

Postby Sara » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:05 am

I installed ArchLinux ARM to my Pogoplug (latest gen, not video) yesterday, and it worked perfectly, but because I used fdisk to create my partions,
not all the 3 TB was addressed (only 2.2 TB was used). So I remade the partions on the device (this time to employ three partitions: a boot
partition, per recommendations I read to use that if using GPT, a root partition, and a home partition). I edited my fstab to add the three devices,
but now the LED of my Pogoplug just blinks green and does not come online. I think what I needed to do is add "root=PARTUUID=XXXXXXX", as
this forum post recommends, but I have no idea how to do this. I looked at the
oxnas-install.sh install script, and it appears to use binaries from Cloud Engines to update the boot args, but how do I access them?

I've researched this for hours to no avail, so I would definitely appreciate the help. Thanks!
Last edited by Sara on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara

Re: How to change the bootargs after a re-extracting of root

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:05 am

At this point you need a small flash drive, partitioned to match the original install.

The installer was never tested against a GPT partition, nor was it tried for PARTUUID, as this is NOT Jeff Doozans uboot or ubit.

partition the flash drive as 1 partition and with the file system of ext3. If nothing else, ext3 can be mounted as ext2. Boot off the extracted rootfs, and consider pre-editing the /etc/rc.conf DAEMONS line to have 2 networks. Don't ask, it helps sometimes when people have fubar'd their plugs.

There is a reason there are big fat warnings about the oxnas not being like the rest of the plug computers.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Sara » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:43 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')t this point you need a small flash drive, partitioned to match the original install.

The installer was never tested against a GPT partition, nor was it tried for PARTUUID, as this is NOT Jeff Doozans uboot or ubit.

partition the flash drive as 1 partition and with the file system of ext3. If nothing else, ext3 can be mounted as ext2. Boot off the extracted rootfs, and consider pre-editing the /etc/rc.conf DAEMONS line to have 2 networks. Don't ask, it helps sometimes when people have fubar'd their plugs.

There is a reason there are big fat warnings about the oxnas not being like the rest of the plug computers.

Thanks a lot for your reply! So, does this mean that GPT partitions are incompatible with the Pogoplug? Or, that they are just not bootable?
Sara

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:32 pm

I've just never tried to boot off one, as the main developer. I can't say that they aren't supported, because I've never watched it attempt to boot off one. Also, there is the possibility that there is just that 'network' daemon issue that some have reported. I don't have a spare drive to create a GPT table on.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Sara » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:17 pm

I did what you suggested, and followed the instructions to extract the rootfs onto my USB flash disk, and my Pogoplug still won't mount (and my
external hard drive is not plugged in). Could the fact that I started to have this issue after I upgraded pacman have anything to do with it? It
upgraded a lot of packages, including the kernel. After I could no longer login after the upgrade, then I decided to try GPT-partitioning my
harddrive. Now, with the main file system (ext3) on the flash drive (and it has no issues--I've mounted it successfully on a Linux computer), it's
still a no go.

My Pogoplug was working perfectly before the upgrade that bricked it, which I think came out on Friday, 30 September.

I also have two "network" entries in my DAEMONS array in the rc.conf.

[EDIT] Pogoplug is working perfectly! Just the IP address changed. Sorry for the false alarm :). Putting the rootfs on the USB flash drive was indeed
the fix. [/EDIT]
Sara

Return to Community Supported