All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note [updated]

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note [updated]

Postby slycat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:28 pm

I was fearful of reflashing nand so I commented those lines out, I only meant to reiterate that i used uImage.pci, curious if that could've given me a problem.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by subing /dev/sdX1 for NAND. When in chroot jail, I am running from said /dev/sdX1 which is considered root (but I do understand the "mount -o bind /dev dev/" call prior to entering chroot). Should I change the ##Flash Kernel calls to use /dev/sdX1 instead of /dev/mtd1? It doesn't seem correct.

Also, zeroing the drive would erase my backup. If I were to do this, I would just start from scratch, but that is what I want to avoid.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby Geoff » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('slycat', 'S')hould I change the ##Flash Kernel calls to use /dev/sdX1 instead of /dev/mtd1? It doesn't seem correct.

No. I see that you are booting up with the kernel in NAND and rootfs on SATA HDD. You should be good to go. I was referring to those who boot up with the kernel on SATA HDD /dev/sda1 and rootfs on /dev/sda2 instead of using the kernel on NAND. I have edited my earlier post to clarify.
Geoff

Postby slycat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Geoff. It was partly my mistake to not say what the setup was. I didn't do the whole sata boot with a kernel on the drive, just boot from PPro NAND, catches first partition of sata as rootfs, and runs from there.

By having trouble booting from the older spare rootfs, I am positive the nand flash was handled correctly even from the chroot jail. I checked what pogoman said about there being random, tty*, mtd* and sdX* folders in /dev/ and they all were there. I'm guessing there is something else going on in my rootfs that's not allowing it to boot.
It seems I am the one that failed and not the update script :oops: (though I never had any real doubt in WHSE's unix-fu). There must be some other baddies I updated to. Gonna check the usual suspects of linux, mkinitcpio, and filesystem.
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 pm

You need to be sure you have the lib tree in place, to match the kernel in nand. They are not interchangeable.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby slycat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:46 am

After going in circles I got the plug to *begin* booting.
Then from everything.log
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Jan 1 00:00:27 AtomAnt dhcpcd[675]: version 5.5.6 starting
Jan 1 00:00:27 AtomAnt dhcpcd[675]: eth0: interface not found or invalid')
So used rc.conf configuration for network from latest rootfs. No eth0 errror, but no dhcpcd start up either (which IS called in the latest rootfs).
Transferred latest set-oxnas-mac, redone update-oxnas (for depmod purposes), doubled network: still no connectivity, but solid green led, no dhcpcd call. It does continue to boot as I notice it calls to add the swap drive (which I added to rc.local). So I added "dhcpcd eth0" and still the same outcome and still no dhcpcd.

Should anyone have any ideas what to try next please let me know.

EDIT:
With all the time I spent trying to cover my old rootfs, I was able to rebuild from the latest rootfs transferring all my special bits within a single evening. Word of advice to anyone else who gets fubar'd like me: just start with what works.
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 am

jmandawg: I split the thread!
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby icewewe » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:23 am

Gah, I see I missed the module request period. The new kernel is missing the XFS filesystem module :(
icewewe

Postby rampage » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:34 am

I saw modules and firmwares from Linux 3.1 under lib folder, are they in use after apply this upgrade fix?
rampage

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 pm

I have to answer this so often..

NO.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Cybertimber2009 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 pm

If I haven't done a pacman -Syu in awhile (according to logs, since 2012-05-19), do I need to do that first? Or run this script and then update?

Edit: ok... based on the third post, part of the updater script perform a pacman update. I'm thinking it would be ok to run now, but i'd appreciate a confirmation. Sorry for the stupid question warhead.
Cybertimber2009

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported