Recompiling and flashing a Pro kernel

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Recompiling and flashing a Pro kernel

Postby kiwi64ajs » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 am

Cool!

So does this mean we can get an update to the current install that will solve the FTDI USB Device issues I was seeing too?

Regards

Alex Shepherd
kiwi64ajs

Postby telzey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 pm

No, it means that a fix will likely happen in the future.

What I do as a single user is totally different from what poor WarheadsSE has to deal with as an administrator.

If I build something and it breaks, then I have to fix it.

If he publicly releases a kernel to the ALARM users that breaks, then he's got hundreds of people giving him grief to fix it!

Please just continue to show patience while a fully tested new kernel release is worked on.
telzey

Postby telzey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm

If you NEED to have USB-to-serial working NOW and really, really, really can't wait until there's a new official ALARM kernel, then ...

You're going to have to compile your own kernel!

Think carefully! Do you really want to do this?

This is unsupported! Don't blame me if it doesn't work for you! I'm not going to help you fix things!

1) Set up your ALARM installation to boot from SATA. It is way too easy to screw up if you try to flash a new kernel to NAND.

See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2146

2) Get a serial port connector for the Pogoplug.

If you can't see the stage1, u-boot and kernel messages on your serial port, then you can't find out what is going wrong if you mess things up!

3) Get my 2.6.31.14 kernel patchset from ...

http://ppl.ug/BtjZfPDdikc/

4) Read the README!

5) Enable the modules that you want, then compile and install the new kernel (including modules) on your SATA drive.

That's all that I'm going to say about that. Do the research!
If you haven't done enough research to know how to do that, then you shouldn't be playing with this.
telzey

Postby Philoo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I've been very eager to see the release of kernel 3.1 for the pro. And especially excited every time WHSE mentionned that 3.1 was a trooper and pretty much "accepted everything that was thrown at it".

I guess I was not the only one who missed that WHSE and a few others have made quite some heavy lifting and made it publicly available on github for a few weeks now. Maybe it was announced, if so my apologies.

Anyway you can get 3.1.10 + patches from:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'git clone https://github.com/WarheadsSE/OX820-3.1-Linux.git')

can get a fairly recent config file from
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'http://ppl.ug/Ze91Jqp1MEg/Z0HE8llw3e94vNwWJTbscgTpDUk/dl/data
or more recent
http://ppl.ug/g3zDLIExc1U/dl/data')

while cross compiling on my debian I needed to
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/user/cross')

to get things to work ok (otherwise it wanted to compile an x86 source to run on an arm host...)

then as usual :
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'make menuconfig
## (take care of PCI support depending on your situation, maybe remove support for other oxnas platform, your choice)
make -j 4 uImage modules')
or your preferred stanza.

a native compilation might require a swap file/partition (It seems 128 MB is not enough for the final linkage)

then depending on your setup write uImage on first partition of your sata drive, upload to your tftp server or flash to nand (did anyone actually try it ?) and put the modules in your rootfs
Philoo

Postby Arktronic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm

I think that repo's been there for a while. Last I read, the 3.x kernels still have some important issues that need to be resolved, but that might have been fixed already.
Arktronic

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:14 pm

We're still working on it in the background:
- coherency issue.
- SATA performance problem.
- Complete driver re-write.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby intrax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm

I would like to run the OX820-3.1-Linux on eTrayz nas, which is an oxnas810 device. I have cross compile env with emdebian toolchain. Is that possible ? And if yes what would I have to adapt for plx-810 ?
intrax

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 pm

I've done no work for the 810 series.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby intrax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'A')s I keep saying, I have access to the PLX sources, though NDA.

Isn't the PLX SDK 'floating around' somewhere? That would make my life (and other oxnas810 modders) a lot easier... ;)
intrax

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm

And? I am bound by NDA. I can not provide it to you, and their sources are very similar to the CE released kernel sources. It doesn't change the fact that I have not touched anything to do with the 810, and won't since I do not have hardware, or $/time. If you wish to change that, I'm willing to listen.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported