Installation on the Pogoplug Series 4

Arch Linux ARM announcements, news, and other important things are posted here.

Installation on the Pogoplug Series 4

Postby crimsonredmk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm

We're happy to announce that the new Pogoplug Series 4 plug computer has joined the ranks of our officially supported devices, complete with an updated U-Boot installation and a shiny new kernel that enables those USB 3.0 ports people have been itching to make good use of. The installation is also done in such a way that reverting back to stock functionality is dead simple, should you decide that a full Linux install isn't the right thing for you. Those instructions as well as information on controlling the LEDs are under the Advanced tab on the platform page.

A few notes on the installation are in order first, however; and these echo what is said on the device's platform page. There is no support for booting from SD/MMC or USB 3.0 due to U-Boot limitations. The storage device you use for the root filesystem must be in one of the top two ports, USB 2.0 or SATA. The dock on the top is compatible with Seagate's GoFlex line of portable hard drives, and that's what we suggest you look into for the best performance. It will only fit the slimmer versions that come in sizes up to 750GB. The 1 and 1.5TB models are almost twice as thick and won't fit in the space provided. Any other similar model by other manufacturers, or even a bare 2.5" drive would likely work well.

Our U-Boot is capable of recognizing a few different usage scenarios, depending on how you wish to handle your install. You can have both SATA and USB drives plugged into the top at boot, and U-Boot will figure out which has our operating system and adjust boot arguments accordingly so you should get a clean boot every time.

For those of you that like to push things further, the Series 4 is based on a Marvell chipset, which means there is a Marvell SATA controller lurking inside. This means that the SATA port is hot-swap and port-multiplier capable. If you have an external drive array enclosure, you could grab a male SATA to eSATA cable for a few bucks and link the whole rack into the plug. These chipsets also include hardware XOR offloading that is enabled by default, which means RAID 5 parity calculations don't take a chunk out of your CPU.

The Series 4 also has an Eject button on the back that we have enabled, but not tied into anything specific. In the stock firmware we assume this was there to trigger their software to safely unmount drives you had plugged in before yanking them. The button is a GPIO key, and the kernel will bind it to /dev/input/event0. You can see it working by cat'ing the device and pressing the button. There are different ways to interface with input events, and we'll leave that to the community to come up with the best uses for it.

Without further ado, have at it!
Arch Linux ARM on Pogoplug Series 4

Also, take a look at the notes at the bottom of the installation instructions in case you run into those situations.

Last edited by crimsonredmk on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edit
Remember, Arch Linux ARM is completely donation-supported, and is totally awesome.
crimsonredmk
Site Admin

Re: Installation on the Pogoplug Series 4

Postby pilotguide » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Any word on an install for Pogoplug Mobile? I went through the install process with the series 4 and it's of course telling me this is an unsupported device.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ABORTING!!! UNSUPPORTED MODEL
===================================
This installer is ONLY for Series 4
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work. i'm looking forward to getting this up and running!
pilotguide

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Can you get us just CEBOARDVER from your uboot parameters? `/usr/local/cloudengines/bin/blparam`
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby pilotguide » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:45 pm

ceboardver=PPV4A1
pilotguide

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Adjusted to include the PPV4A1 .. it was only looking for PPV4A3 :) We don't own a mobile, so we were not sure of it's boardver.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby pilotguide » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Just downloaded the update for ppv4-install.sh and installed. She works! Did the reboot then had to power the mobile off then on. I am logged into it right now from my iPad.
pilotguide

Postby markllama » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:43 pm

I've seen a reference to the serial pins on J11, but not a detailed pinout yet.

Has anyone done the analysis of the serial pin assignment?

I have a multimeter. Is that enough to identify the ground, tx and rx lines? What should I see when probing the pin pairs to identify those lines?

- Mark
markllama

Postby emkay » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:33 pm

From top to bottom (where top is nearest to the sdcard tray* and bottom is nearest the side with the connectors):

• - ground
  • - rx
  • - tx
  • - 3.3v

This is for the PPv4 - I don't know if the Mobile has the same pinout, but I would be surprised if theres a difference...

Make sure to use a level shifter to TTL 3.3v and connect gnd with gnd, 3.3v with 3.3v, rx with tx, tx with rx.

EmKay

* the mobile does not have SDcard... So: look from top onto the PP and have the connectors for USB, network, power facing south ;)
emkay

Postby markllama » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Is this correct?

The full board (upside down based on your description)

And a close up of J11

markllama

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm

-- nvm -- yes
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Announcements