Default configuration of rngd on Raspberry Pi

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Default configuration of rngd on Raspberry Pi

Postby youknow0 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Hello everyone,

rng-tools is installed by default in the raspberry Pi image and is started on boot by systemd. Unfortunately, rngd has a non-optimal default configuration:

In /etc/conf.d/rngd:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'RNGD_OPTS="-o /dev/random -r /dev/urandom"')

That means, rngd takes entropy from /dev/urandom and feeds it into /dev/random, which you should only do if you really know what you are doing. The problem with this default configuration has already been reported for the ArchLinux package: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/34580

The argument in that bug report was that rngd is not installed by default (which however is the case on the Pi distribution) and most devices don’t have a hardware rng (which the Pi actually has). This default configuration could have potential security implications, i.e. if you use a DSA-based crypto algorithm. So the arguments in that original bug report aren’t true for the Pi.

Therefore I suggest the following change to /etc/conf.d/rngd:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'RNGD_OPTS="-o /dev/random -r /dev/hwrng"')
which will use the hardware rng of the Pi.

Alternatively or additionally, it would be an option to disable rngd in the default configuration.
youknow0

Re: Default configuration of rngd on Raspberry Pi

Postby kmihelich » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:28 pm

No, it is not installed by default. Use the installation we provide on our site, that is the only supported installation.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: Default configuration of rngd on Raspberry Pi

Postby youknow0 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:17 pm

You’re right. I got confused. This thread can be closed.
youknow0

Return to Raspberry Pi