XBMC PKGBUILD for raspberry pi

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Re: XBMC PKGBUILD for raspberry pi

Postby tgc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:09 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BasiK', 'I') tried to build xbmc for the rpi in a couple of different ways and I always get a little further by changings small things here are there, but never got to the end. So I tried this PKGBUILD, and now compilation stops at threads/Atomics.o

/basikStorage/xbmc/src/xbmc-rbp/xbmc/utils/StdString.h:1605:14: note: the mangling of âva_listâ has changed in GCC 4.4
AR xbmc/storage/storage.a
CPP xbmc/threads/Atomics.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:41: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `ldrex r3,[r0]'
<snip>

Any hints?

The reason I got around this might be because I've set the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS in my /etc/makepkg.conf to compile for armv6 instead of armv5, like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'CFLAGS="-march=armv6 -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv6 -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"')
I didn't think about this until now, sorry!
tgc

Postby BasiK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm not familiar with the gnu toolchain or ARM or any assembler development in general, but by changing this to armv6, aren't you producing code with asm functions that the rpi processor will not understand and hence produce segfaults and thelike?
Either way, I'm building again... slowly :)
By the way, as I understand sdl and sdl_image are also dependencies.

Does anyone know how the guys over at xbmc build it with OpenELEC for the rpi? Do they also set the -march=armv6?
BasiK

Postby tgc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:44 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BasiK', 'I')'m not familiar with the gnu toolchain or ARM or any assembler development in general, but by changing this to armv6, aren't you producing code with asm functions that the rpi processor will not understand and hence produce segfaults and thelike?
Either way, I'm building again... slowly :)
By the way, as I understand sdl and sdl_image are also dependencies.

Does anyone know how the guys over at xbmc build it with OpenELEC for the rpi? Do they also set the -march=armv6?

The rpi is an armv6 device, but the arch distrpbution used is armv5. OPENELEC and the other distros is most likely buildt entirely for armv6.
I'll check the sdl dependencies later.
tgc

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Many of other Raspberry Pi specific distributions are indeed compiled specifically for the board. However, software can be compiled to specifically target the board & cpu, if configured correctly. The software will manage.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby BasiK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks for the info!
And thanks for the PKGBUILD. Now it compiled fine... and xbmc runs. FYI, compiling took roughly about 6 to 8 hours.
BasiK

Postby blazt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tgc', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('BasiK', 'I') tried to build xbmc for the rpi in a couple of different ways and I always get a little further by changings small things here are there, but never got to the end. So I tried this PKGBUILD, and now compilation stops at threads/Atomics.o

/basikStorage/xbmc/src/xbmc-rbp/xbmc/utils/StdString.h:1605:14: note: the mangling of âva_listâ has changed in GCC 4.4
AR xbmc/storage/storage.a
CPP xbmc/threads/Atomics.o
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:41: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `ldrex r3,[r0]'
<snip>

Any hints?

The reason I got around this might be because I've set the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS in my /etc/makepkg.conf to compile for armv6 instead of armv5, like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'CFLAGS="-march=armv6 -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv6 -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2"')
I didn't think about this until now, sorry!

What about distcc? If we change CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS on master do we also need to change .config variables on clients to:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
CT_ARCH_ARCH="armv6"
CT_ARCH_FPU="vfp"
CT_ARCH_FLOAT="softfp"
')
blazt

Postby tgc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Just build a new pkg, since the old one depended on udev which was uninstalled on my last system update. If you want get it here.
tgc

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 pm

*tap* *tap*

Someone get on GitHub, fork PKGBUILDs, put it in the alarm repo and do a pull request

:ugeek:
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby tgc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', '*')tap* *tap*

Someone get on GitHub, fork PKGBUILDs, put it in the alarm repo and do a pull request

:ugeek:

Will do, when I get some time... :)
tgc

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Thank you.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi