Bringing up WiFi interface on Wandboard Quad

This forum is for supported devices using an ARMv7 Freescale SoC.

Re: Bringing up WiFi interface on Wandboard Quad

Postby Alarmed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Well, they both get IP address via DHCP. Can you clarify what you mean by being configured on the same subnet?

So wlan0 is 10.0.0.10 and wlan1 is 10.0.0.8 and both broadcast to 255.255.255.0 and have a common gateway.

My intention is to eventually to setup wlan0 (SDIO) as AP while wlan1 can connect to the internet, thereby replacing my existing raspberry pi.
Alarmed

Postby PLyttle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:27 pm

IP addresses with prefix 10 (10.x.x.x) belong to the same subnet
having more than 1 interface in the same computer on the same subnet may cause problems.
There are ways around that, but it might be better to disable all but one when you are testing.
By all means, start up with more, but then stop the ones you are not using and test the one remaining.
This way you won't be locked out when an interface does not start properly.

This is a big subject, it might be worth while to find some wiki pages on it.
LP
PLyttle

Postby Alarmed » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Ok will look into it. BTW the new kernel has been stable so far. First time ever I have a working on-board WiFi! (fingers crossed!)
Alarmed

Postby PLyttle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Good for you... Keep me posted.

LP
PLyttle

Postby Alarmed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 am

Alright, i've noticed some instabilities (i.e. when plugging in an extra wifi card which is not configured on wpa_supplicant/dhcp hence no IP/subnet issue, wlan0 and wlan1 are switched randomly without any pattern on when it happens, even after clear udev rules to set the USB device to wlan1)
Alarmed

Postby PLyttle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 am

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by switching randomly.
As I read it wlan1 is not configured in the net (no IP-address)

I'm not sure this is caused by the driver(s)
LP
PLyttle

Postby Alarmed » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:10 pm

I have a udev rule which says that if my USB dongle wifi is connected, mark it as wlan1. This way the SDIO wifi device is given wlan0 device name.

However, even after placing this rule, sometimes randomly the zyxel will become wlan0 and SDIO will become wlan1.

Running the patched kernel built in this thread earlier I noticed the device crashed (or became unresponsive) after running for a day. When I rebooted, the SDIO wifi would show connected to my AP but could not obtain ip address via DHCP. Even setting IP manually didn't help. The USB wifi dongle worked fine in the meantime (connected to a different AP with a different IP subnet).

I think my efforts have proven that ARCH for rev B1 is unstable as far as wifi is concerned. I really had high expectations from this board thinking that it can be a more powerful raspberry pi, but getting something useful done from this device is impossible. It might be good as a dev board but not as a reliable computer.
Alarmed

Previous

Return to Freescale