Pogoplug V4 ArchLinux Tar wget: Short Write

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Pogoplug V4 ArchLinux Tar wget: Short Write

Postby pkelly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:37 pm

I can't find any topics on this that aren't locked and address my situation.

For some reason I can't get passed the archlinux installation tar download in the installation instructions. It gives me a wget: short write error. for some reason it thinks my device is full. I've tried this on two pogoplugs now. The first one is bricked. After the download fails the system slows to a crawl. At that point I got fed up with it and unplugged it. Now when I plug it in it blinks green for 5-10 seconds then red for 5 seconds then power cycles and repeats that cycle endlessly. Thoughts? What does that mean?

I've moved on to another factory default pogoplug v4. Went through the install instructions. Same thing. I get to the download for archlinux install tar and I get a wget: short write. What gives? This is super frustrating. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
pkelly

Re: Pogoplug V4 ArchLinux Tar wget: Short Write

Postby pkelly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I should add that I'm downloading it into the /tmp folder. The instructions don't specify changing directories so I didn't do that. I noted that my root fs only has about 100mb total. This doesn't make sense because the tar is 188mb. So of course it's going to short write. I've tried d/l it to my usb disk labeled "alarm" but that only caused errors when installing. What am I doing wrong?
pkelly

Postby Socaltom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Which step # in the installation instructions is giving you the error?

Did you complete step 8?
if so, then do

cd /tmp/alarm

before you do the wget

then drop the -C alarm from the bdstar command
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby pkelly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Hey thanks for the reply!

So yes, i get done with step #8 and while still in /tmp do the wget in step 9. That's where I run out of space. So i tried just what you said about cd /tmp/alarm and continue with step 9. all the files will d/l without a hitch. But when I do the ./bsdtar without the -C alarm directory change, I get this:

/tmp/alarm # ./bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz
./usr/bin/ping6: Cannot restore extended attributes on this file system
./usr/bin/ping: (null)
./usr/bin/rlogin: (null)
./usr/bin/rsh: (null)
./usr/bin/rcp: (null)
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Sad face. So are there needed things bsdtar is not seeing when opening the archlinux tar that it would see if it ran in the /tmp folder? Thanks for your help.
pkelly

Postby Socaltom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 pm

how big is the USB drive?
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby pkelly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 pm

It's an 8gb
pkelly

Postby Socaltom » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:52 am

Instead of bdstar try this
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'tar -xzvf ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz')

The same problem was shown and corrected in this post.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7758%29
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby pkelly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Ok, thanks. I actually saw that post but didn't get far enough into my troubleshooting to understand what they were talking about. Forgive the noobness... I'll try that tonight and see what happens.
pkelly

Postby pkelly » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:41 am

Just so you know. That worked great! I'm so thankful to be past that! onward and upward:) Thanks so much for your help.
pkelly

Postby pkelly » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:51 am

So I'm frustrated again...

I got a USB drive working without a hitch, but then it wouldn't boot correctly on reboot with another drive connected. I had to disconnect the second USB drive and let it boot, THEN attach/remount the second drive for it to work. Lame. I've searched high and low for an answer to that and I keep running into roadblocks. However, I did read that a guy got it working by using the SD card. When you use the SD card it boots with other drives plugged in. This means I'm back to square one....

I can't download the archlinux tar. I keep getting a Short write error. I'm even in the mounted SD card directory. I check my usage across my drives using df and it shows my SD card is only 4% full. The rootfs is only at 17%. However, after I get the short write error, the system crawls. Something isn't right. I just don't get it. It's a good SD card as far as I know. Any thoughts?
pkelly

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood