No green light on the Seagate GoFlex Home

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

No green light on the Seagate GoFlex Home

Postby dips0502 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:48 pm

All of a sudden, on power up, the device shows no blinking green lights. It used to a few days back, but not anymore. I can feel the hard disk spinning. The ethernet port has some red and green light activity. Although there is no activity captured when listening to the net console ports. I tried to reseat the hard disk, but that didnt change anything. I have mounted the hard disk externally and it powers up and I can see my data. Is it time that I take the hardware to the service center? I am running out of what else to do.
dips0502

Re: No green light on the Seagate GoFlex Home

Postby moonman » Fri May 22, 2015 8:41 pm

No front led activity at all? Do you hear hard drive spin up when you turn on GF. It may be bad power supply.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby dips0502 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:19 pm

I hear the hard drive spin up. There is absolutely no front led activity though. Tried with a similar power adapter, but doesn't help. The power adapter that came with it has the following specs - INPUT - 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 0.65A Max. OUTPUT - 12V, 2A.
The other one I tried with has INPUT - 90-270V, 50-60Hz, OUTPUT - 12V, 2.2A.

Do I need to try it with an adapter with the exact same specs?
dips0502

Postby moonman » Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 pm

You will probably need to get a serial adapter and see if there is any activity there. If there is no activity on serial you can try to boot the device by sending a uboot image over serial with kwboot, but i have a feeling your GF is done.

Specs on power can be different as long as voltage is the same and it is at least the same amps (can be more, but if less take the drive out so it doesn't consume all the power).
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby bodhi » Wed May 27, 2015 12:00 am

The power supply came with the GFHome has enough power to run HDD 3.5". So it's not likeky the problem. After powering up, put your hand on the HDD case and feel if it is spinning. If the HDD is constantly spinning, and also the ethernet light is blinking green/orange then power is not a problem.

If you NAND went bad in the 1st 1MB then there will be no activity on serial console or the front LED. So moonman suggestion to use kwboot is the best way to troubleshoot this.

-bodhi
bodhi

Postby dips0502 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 am

I am not an electronics guy, but can this USB-to-RS232-COM-Port-Serial-PDA-9Pin-DB9-Cable-Adapter be used?
dips0502

Postby moonman » Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 am

No, no, that would not work (unless modified, but you don't want that)
look for "ttl to usb"
moonman
Developer

Postby dips0502 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:47 am

Oh..Ok. Well this means I have to open the base unit and attempt to get serial access to it. Something I am not too confident of being able to pull off because of this
dips0502

Postby moonman » Wed May 27, 2015 11:23 am

Mine came with pins. If not, just solder 3 wires there with female pins on the other end if you don't want to solder proper pins to the board. I had to do this for PPv4. You've got nothing to lose.
moonman
Developer

Postby dips0502 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Ok. So I got someone to solder 3 pins to the board, and there is nothing from the serial. I guess that's it then.
dips0502

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood