[Goflex Home 3TB] Newbie help

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: [Goflex Home 3TB] Newbie help

Postby dannyp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:57 pm

OK. Thanks to all who have contributed, I have now partitioned, labeled, mounted, downloaded and extracted to the drive through my pc.

I now have sda1 labeled rootfs at 20G with the alarm extracted on it and the remaining space on sda2.

Is it just a case of putting the drive back in the cradle, and switching on now??
Goflex Home 3TB Alarm
- SAMBA, MYSQL, SICKBEARD, COUCHPOTATO, HEADPHONES, WEBMIN, SABNZBD.

Goflex Home 2TB Alarm
- SAMBA, SUBSONIC, WEBMIN.

Raspberry PI Model B 512K
- RASPBMC
dannyp

Postby moonman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:58 pm

You partitioned and created hybrid mbr with gdisk I presume? If so then yes, you would just need to put the drive in the credle and turn it on. After that it should boot up and you should have ssh access.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby dannyp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 am

Still hasn't worked.
I followed the steps to create the 2 partitions, created the hybrid mbr for partition 1 with a hex value of 83 and bootable. labeled partition 1 rootfs. extracted alarm as sudo.

I think I need to start again from scratch, missing something but unsure what.
Maybe its the steps in creating the hybrid mbr.
Goflex Home 3TB Alarm

Goflex Home 2TB Alarm

- RASPBMC
dannyp

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:07 am

how big is your boot partition?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 am

moonman
Developer

Postby dannyp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:12 am

boot partition is set at 20G.

That guide says it is outdated. How will it help?
Goflex Home 3TB Alarm

Goflex Home 2TB Alarm

- RASPBMC
dannyp

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:28 am

It has a lot of information on how to recover uBoot/your arch linux installation. And maybe other things you can try to recover.

Try using a USB stick first and see if that boots up. If it doesn't then it's either bad rootfs.tar.gz that you downloaded or bad flash of ubit. If it does boot up, then it's something to do with hybrid mbr and/or partitioning of your hdd.
moonman
Developer

Postby JackDanielZ » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:46 am

I am almost sure that if he fdiskes only one MBR partition of 20G, it will boot. The problem is, at least for me, in the GTP and hybrid support.
JackDanielZ

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 am

Well there's shouldn't be any problem if it's done properly. I believe when one uses gdisk, it's probably a good idea to only have one partition in MBR table (the first one), the second partition for storage will probably still be larger than 2TB which may cause problems with MBR. Though in theory you are right, it may not recognize the full drive capacity,but it should still boot up from MBR partition.

Unfortunately I don't have 3TB GoFlex so my experience is limited to triple-booting macbook pro with hybridmbr.
Try only having one partition in MBR table(if you didn't already do so). Try putting EFI GPT before or after MBR partitions. I don't know which one works best with U-Boot. HMBR is flaky as mentioned by many guides, but it is the only solution, it seems, if you want to boot off of 3TB drive.
moonman
Developer

Postby dannyp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks for the info and help. I will try a few things and let you know how it goes.
Goflex Home 3TB Alarm

Goflex Home 2TB Alarm

- RASPBMC
dannyp

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood