Help -- PogoPlug not booting from USB drive

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Help -- PogoPlug not booting from USB drive

Postby moonman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:22 am

Try the bottom port in the back instead. In fstab it may be better to use uuid instead of /dev/sdx stuff. To get uuid issue "blkid". and in fstab use UUID=<YOUR UUID> instead of /dev/sdx business. I am on the phone atm so cant really say more.

For reference:
linux.byexamples.com/archives/321/fstab-with-uuid/
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Just a reminder, fstab rules are used at boot or manual mount, for automounting drives hooked after boot install udev-automount - it will add own rules in /etc/udev/rules.d dir.
sambul13

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:48 pm

It appears that I finally got it working using UUID in the fstab configuration and plugging the boot drive in the bottom last port of the PogoPlug.. After pulling the power plug and plugging all 3 drives in, the PogoPlug booted and mounted the two other drives.. Much thanks Moonman!
Sambul13: I will keep that in mind ! Thanks!
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby ormiller » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm

I did a pacman -Su and then updated everything except the gcc on my armtel devices and when I was done I entered the command poweroff. Today I plug in my pogoplug and the usb drive is corrupt. The horror is I have the same thing with my 2TB hard drive in my Zyxel NSA325., I plugged the USB stick then the hard drive into my linux laptop and BOTH have the same error:

# fsck /dev/sdc1
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

now I have 2 bricked devices, and a scrapped 2TB drive.
ormiller

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:05 pm

I finally figured out what was causing the problems with my stuttering movies which I always thought to be network related. I plugged the drive onto my Ubuntu OS and performed a hard disk analysis. Apparently it is having errors reading, and it warns me that I have imminent hard drive failure to come. Thankfully, the drive is just under its one year warranty and I'm replacing it. I also ditched the Pogoplug and went with a Zyxel NSA320 that I picked up for $75..
Last edited by Hypnosis4U2NV on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby moonman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Hypnosis4U2NV', 'I') finally figured out what was causing the problems with my stuttering movies which I always related to be network related. The plugged the drive onto my Ubuntu OS and performed a hard disk analysis. Apparently it is having errors reading, and it warns me that I have imminent hard drive failure to come. Thankfully, the drive is just under its one year warranty and I'm replacing it. I also ditched the Pogoplug and went with a Zyxel NSA320 that I picked up for $75..

Maybe that's why your pogoplug was acting up and U-Boot didn't flash porperly?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:38 pm

It wasn't my boot drive, just an external ext3 formatted drive with my movies on it.. Strangely enough, the Zyxel NSA320 gives me some great transfer speeds over my network utilizing the replacement external drive formatted to NTFS.. On the Pogoplug I was only able to achieve 5-6MBs on a NTFS drive..
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:36 am

The massively extra memory affords a lot of that.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Previous

Return to Marvell Kirkwood