Overclock PogoPlug V4 and Mobile

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Overclock PogoPlug V4 and Mobile

Postby Sergeanter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:19 pm

It was shown once on the forum that V4 and Mobile can be easily overclocked from 800MHz to 1000MHz. DRAM and L2 cache clocks go up accordingly. All you need to do is to solder 2.2 KOhm to 2.7 KOhm resistor between two pads of serial interface as shown. The resistor goes between +3.3V ( square pad) and TX line of the serial port.
I have overclocked all of mine . I do not see any instability or heat problems. I have looked up DRAM chip and it is at the rated clock frequency.
If resistor is soldered properly, you should see 996.14 BogoMIPS when you boot your Pogo V4 next time meaning that clock is 1GHz. Check it with dmesg|grep MIPS.
I know this is not much of a performance boost but it may help when CPU load is really high.
Overclocking to 1.2GHz is probably also possible but seems to be too involving ( need to put multiple pull up / pull down resistors).
Edit: I have corrected resistor value to reflect what was actually placed on board. Any value in 2.2K to 2.7K range will work. Smaller values may cause serial port problems . Higher values may not pull up the pin high enough during boot time SAR check .
Attachments
Pogoplug_V4_overclock_upd.jpg
Pogoplug_V4_overclock_upd.jpg (85.97 KiB) Viewed 18353 times
Last edited by Sergeanter on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeanter

Re: Overclock PogoPlug V4 and Mobile

Postby moonman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Good stuff! Thanks for putting it on the forum.

I have to say it is a noticable boost as I was messing around with it a while back ( i got the overclock by just connecting the serial adapter at the time)

does the serial still work?
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Sergeanter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Yes, it does with 10 KOhm. During reboot you are going to see a bunch of block symbols in console because of the pull up, but once uboot kicks in everything is as usual. 20K resistor might be the right thing to put but I did not have any at home.
Sergeanter

Postby moonman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:37 pm

I only have 10kohm axial resistors so it should be easy to solder them in series to get that 20kohm. They are probably overkill but it should work.
EDIT. Turned out mine were 100kohm... :( 5 in parallel it is.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby moonman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:10 pm

And... It didn't work. 5x 100kohm resistors in parallel soldered and still at 800MHz. Don't have anymore of these to bring it down to 10kohm.
moonman
Developer

Postby Sergeanter » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Let me take exact picture and res value later today
Sergeanter

Postby Sergeanter » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:10 am

I am so sorry... The resistor is 2.7KOHm . I just slapped the drawing together by memory and apparently I am getting old. I will fix the pic tomorrow. Sorry for your time wasted soldering those resistors. Please try 2.7K and confirm if you can. I remember spending time with a variable one to get enough pull up. Serial is working for me with the resistor but this may depend on your level shifter / USB adapter.
Sergeanter

Postby moonman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:11 am

No worries. I will have to first acquire one of these as I don't have one handy.
moonman
Developer

Postby spooky2012 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:39 am

Hi Sergeanter,

I've tried your "hack" using a regular 1/4 Watt - 2.2 kOhm resistor soldered on the top side of the PCB.

More easier than soldering a SMT resistor on the bottom side.

Now I get a 996,14 BogoMIPS instead of 795,44 BogoMIPS on a cat /proc/cpuinfo (25% increase!).

Thank you!
spooky2012

Postby moonman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:42 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('spooky2012', 'H')i Sergeanter,

I've tried your "hack" using a regular 1/4 Watt - 2.2 kOhm resistor soldered on the top side of the PCB.

More easier than soldering a SMT resistor on the bottom side.

Now I get a 996,14 BogoMIPS instead of 795,44 BogoMIPS on a cat /proc/cpuinfo (25% increase!).

Thank you!

Just a friendly FYI: while in this case bogomips is almost exactly the same as MHz, sometimes it isn't:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BogoMips

"cpupower frequency-info" will tell you what your MHz is currently.
moonman
Developer

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood