DVB problems with latest kernel 3.16 (continuity errors)

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

DVB problems with latest kernel 3.16 (continuity errors)

Postby cloph » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi *,

I'm using tvheadend on a raspberry pi with both a DVB-T (rtl28xxu based) as well as a DVB-S (DVBSky S2¹) device.

I tried the latest kernel (3.16.0-2 at the time) and found that both DVB-T as well as DVB-S are unusable/unwatchable since there are lots of Continuity Errors reported (and also visible glitches and dropouts en masse). The problem is not weak signal/bad hardware, since using kernel 3.12 (3.12.26-1 as of now) doesn't show the problem - with that kernel both adapters give flawless stream without errors.

My assumption is that buffers cannot be read fast enough from the driver, i.e. while the driver/hardware does receive the packets, they're not passed down to the client application properly.

As both DVB-T as well as DVB-S are affected, I exclude a problem with the DVBSky driver that is partially binary-only - the rtl28xxu one is one of the most common chips I think. And as the only difference between working and non-working, some changes in the kernel are to blame.

But of course the big question is how to narrow this down to get some usable bug-report? Do other users suffer the same problem/is it limited to the raspberry maybe?)

[1] driver from here http://www.dvbsky.net/Support.html - sit2.o for <strike>arch</strike> arm quickly received after mailing support

Edit: sit2.o for *arm*
cloph

Re: DVB problems with latest kernel 3.16 (continuity errors)

Postby ErnieW » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Same problem here with tvheadend running on a pogoplug E02. 3.16 kernel gives loads of continuity errors and they all vanish when I go back to 3.15. Happens with a KWorld U499 and an Aver A815 DVB-T, and a Tevii S660 and a Technisat Skystar USB HD DVB-S , so it's not a problem with one particular piece of hardware. I've got most logging disabled, so like you I can't help narrow down where the actual problem is, just confirm that it exists. There's a definite timing thing there, since if I pass the recordings through ProjectX I can see the error lines popping up at pretty regular intervals.
ErnieW

Postby moonman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby cloph » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:42 pm

can confirm that the kernel update fixes the problem - i.e. no problem anymore with 3.16.2-1-ARCH
cloph

Return to General