Quality management critical software

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Quality management critical software

Postby marlemion » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi,

I am relativly new to the forum and to ARM Arch, too. Recently, I have switched my parents NSA310 to use arch. Managed even to get the kirkwood-dt kernel booting on it, so I am very happy atm.

However, there have been three (3!) cases, where I updated the system and it turned out to be not reachable anymore.

1) Upon a restart, the network didn't come up anymore. Reason was that the external usb drive couldn't be mounted anymore, so systemd refused to start the network (don't ask me why). Reason for the mount failure was a mount option in fstab, which hasn't been placed there by myself as far as I can remember. Anyhow, granted, it could be my fault. Anyway, strange.

2) After a kernel update, the network did not come up anymore. See: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8745

3) After a systemd update the network did not come up anymore. See: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8760

So in all of these cases I had to grab out my serial cable, unassemble the unit, use my laptop to understand the failure, get packages from rollback, use an usb stick to get the packages on the unit, rollback the packages and restart. From an administrative point of view, this is horrible. The unit is placed at my parents home and I normally administrate it via ssh. So, if the network does not come up, I am screwed.

Currently, the respective packages are masked so that they won't be updated by pacman. However, I wondered if there is any quality management going on before these packages are supplied. I especially wonder as my x86 arch still ships with 2.18 systemd and 3.19 kernel. So there must be reasons for that.
marlemion

Re: Quality management critical software

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:03 pm

My desktop Arch is 219-5
Also, we've not seen the kernel cause the NIC to drop out.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby marlemion » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Right, it is 2.19-5 on my system, too, my apologies.

Does arch provide a stable/testing environment like gentoo?
marlemion

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Upstream Arch does. At this point, ALARM does not do so.

We're investigating the requirements and overhead (remember we're a very small team).

This is a change in the kernel that broke a few things, like PCI on the kirkwoods, that we've reported to the kernel devs.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby marlemion » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Well, I know that you are a small team and thus your work is even more terrific. I could also keep the respective pckages masked and update them only in case I am able to debug the situation when I am home.

Anyway. Thanks for your clarifications!
marlemion

Postby marlemion » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Will the 2.19-5.1 version of sstemd resolve this issue?

I reckoned that this patch has been applied:

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... c427.patch
marlemion

Postby moonman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:57 pm

This patch is reversed, and yes it fixes the problem.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby bodhi » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:12 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', '
')This is a change in the kernel that broke a few things, like PCI on the kirkwoods, that we've reported to the kernel devs.

@WarheadsSE,

Could you post the link to the bug report, I'd like to track that to see when it get resolved.

Thanks,
-bodhi
bodhi

Return to General