can I disable journald?

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

can I disable journald?

Postby coolporygon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:09 pm

Trying to reinstall arch on my chromebook. Currently running from a USB (only to fix the install on my much faster SD card).

During boot, it keeps displaying this message over and over, and keeps generating it about every 8 or 9 seconds:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'systemd-journald[122]: Failed to write entry, ignoring: Bad message')

and other similar messages about being unable to delete records. Almost as if the flash drive is read-only, which I dont' think it is.

It continually generates these messages and never actually gets to a terminal where I can do things.

Is this supposed to happen and do I just wait it out until it gets to a terminal (this USB drive is much slower during boot than the SD card I'm used to)? Is the USB drive mistakenly set as read-only? Is there a way I can disable journald without needing to boot into the system to run systemctl?

Is there another fix to this problem?
coolporygon

Re: can I disable journald?

Postby tinx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:36 pm

You can disable journald by changing /etc/systemd/journald.conf. Please refer to `man journald.conf`.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '[')u]Storage=
Controls where to store journal data. One of "volatile", "persistent", "auto" and "none". If "volatile", journal log data will be stored only in memory, i.e. below the /run/log/journal hierarchy (which is created if needed). If "persistent", data will be stored preferably on disk, i.e. below the /var/log/journal hierarchy (which is created if needed), with a fallback to /run/log/journal (which is created if needed), during early boot and if the disk is not writable. "auto" is similar to "persistent" but the directory /var/log/journal is not created if needed, so that its existence controls where log data goes. "none" turns off all storage, all log data received will be dropped. Forwarding to other targets, such as the console, the kernel log buffer, or a syslog socket will still work however. Defaults to "auto".
tinx

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

This does not "disable" journald. Only the storage of logs its binary format.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby coolporygon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm

I already set it to "none". This did not resolve the issue.
coolporygon

Return to General