Broken upgrade on ARM ?

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Broken upgrade on ARM ?

Postby lwerner » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:00 am

Hi all,
I've been running an ARM based Seagate Dockstar for over 5 years serving out samba shares to my media center and wireless LAN. It worked awesome. A few days ago, I tried upgrading it to "kirkwood-latest" from http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5 ... e-dockstar and it's quite borked.

First off is network.
It doesn't come up. No dhcp, no link light, nothing. It's always just worked with dhcp so not sure what happened. I was going to set a static ip in /etc/network/interfaces but it's not there.. I recall the ethernet setup being a bit atypical of common Linux systems but not sure if this is missing from the upgrade or what. I assigned an IP by hand (ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.1/24 up && route add default gw 10.10.10.254) and was able to ping my router however DNS wasn't working. I looked in /etc/resolv.conf but it was empty. I added some entries for google DNS but was unable to save the file as it was a symlink to /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf. Naturally, the destination didn't exist. The directory didn't even exist under /run. How is it the system is configured this way with non-existant files and directories? I removed the symlink from /etc/ and put in some resolvers and things started working. I was able to pacman rsync and get my backups working again. Short term, I've added network config commands to /etc/rc.local to bring the system up from a reboot but where do I go to configure the network properly as well as populate /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf ?

Second is logging. Not sure what's going on but there are no system logs. All that's in /var/log is:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@Arch Linux ARM install etc]# dir /var/log/
total 32
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12130 Dec 31 18:00 dmesg.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 31 18:00 netcat.log
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 31 18:13 .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 778 Jan 2 02:41 pacman.log
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 24 2015 old
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Sep 2 2015 ..
drwxr-sr-x 3 root 102 4096 Sep 2 2015 journal')

What is going on here? Where is boot.log? and messages? and kernel log? auth.log? I googled /var/log/journal and found systemd journal service is supposed to write there. Ok, fine but there is nothing in there. I tried journalctl but it just says "No journal files were found". Where do I go to find out about kernel events or authentication failures? Is logging now very different?

Thirdly is samba. I tried to pacman -S samba it asks about installing some packages and then terminates with errorcode 404 "error: failed retrieving file 'samba-4.2.3-2-arm.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to correctly upgrade my dockstar to make all this work? It's quite broken at this point. I have backups I can restore from, but I did not backup things like /bin and /usr so I need a system tarfile of some sort to start from. I can got back to the original install image but I got behind on updates over the years and pacman became quite broken on that system too. I tried upgrading that first but it didn't work out. There was some conflicts with dependcies that ended up leaving some things half-installed.
lwerner

Re: Broken upgrade on ARM ?

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:23 pm

When was the last time you did a system upgrade?

As for how to configure network, this is all well covered in the wiki.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby lwerner » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:39 am

No upgrade. This all came from tarball ArchLinuxARM-kirkwood-latest.tar.gz so maybe I have some files missing? It was not an upgrade. Is there an sha1sum for the tarball somewhere I can check against? There were some errors about "SHILLY flag" when I used bsdtar to extract (GNU tar also complained) but some other forums say to not worry about the SHILLY errors. From wiki: "An easy way to setup DHCP for simple requirements is to use systemd-networkd service provided by systemd. See systemd-networkd#Basic DHCP network." The file referenced on wiki seems to be missing as well. Uh.. `netctl list` is empty too. Should I use netctl to create a new profile ?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@Arch Linux ARM install ~]# systemd-
systemd-analyze systemd-delta systemd-inhibit systemd-run
systemd-ask-password systemd-detect-virt systemd-machine-id-setup systemd-stdio-bridge
systemd-cat systemd-escape systemd-notify systemd-sysusers
systemd-cgls systemd-firstboot systemd-nspawn systemd-tmpfiles
systemd-cgtop systemd-hwdb systemd-path systemd-tty-ask-password-agent')
lwerner

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Sorry, you say "upgrade" all over your first post. This is a clean re-install, apparently. Hopefully with the very latest tarball.

systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved seem to already be working, and configured. This is how it is comes out of the tarball, btw. If DHCP is somehow failing with the latest stack, you'd want to look into that.

rc.local hasn't been used in a very very long time.
Logs are mostly a part of the journal at this point.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jft » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:54 am

removed guess
Last edited by jft on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jft

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Get me proof, and not a guess. I have not seen this outside the RPi family.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby lwerner » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:15 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'S')orry, you say "upgrade" all over your first post. This is a clean re-install, apparently. Hopefully with the very latest tarball.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant upgrading by way of using Packman. I did tried that first but it wouldn't let me upgrade until I upgraded Packman itself. I guess the packages were so old that it wouldn't upgraded. Anyway, I respect the time and effort you guys have put into devleoping Archlinux I just don't think it's going to work for me with all the problems with systemd. I found some stuff out about the logging and apparently systemd doesn't use text based logfiles anymore which it really odd. I have a lot of automation that parses those logfiles and they need to be there. Anyways.. could you please point me in the direction of an alternative ARM distro I could put on my dockstar? I looked at debian ARM but that not sure that will work with the Marvell CPU in the dockstar.. and they seem to be full of the systemd stuff too.. Not sure where to go at this point. Thanks for all the help!
lwerner

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Yes, many distros are moving to systemd. Debian included.

You can easily get access to text logs, etc. You're just not seeing it outright. (r)syslog plugins, and exports, various formatting, and more are all possible with simple flags to journalctl and or additional services.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to General