4D systems 7inch LCD Beaglebone Black Xorg

This forum is for topics dealing with problems with software specifically in the ARMv7h repo.

4D systems 7inch LCD Beaglebone Black Xorg

Postby rmcloud » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:13 pm

I have archlinux installed on my Beaglebone Black and I absolutely love it! I have, however, had problems installing Xorg... correction... xfce4 and i3 for the 4D Systems 7 inch LCD touchscreen cape. startx actually works for the basic test wm but I cannot seem to solve the problem to get either xfce4 or i3 to start. The last entry I see in Xorg.log tells me that libfbdirect1.6 cannot be found... I have installed fbdirect1.7... I have tried numerous ways to try to correct the problem. startxfce4, I have tried also to use slim to start i3. I have, so far failed. I admit I am new to archlinux but I have been reading and reading and trying to logically solve this... can anyone confirm that they have had success with Beaglebone Black, 4D Systems 7 inch touchscreen LCD and archlinux?
rmcloud

Re: 4D systems 7inch LCD Beaglebone Black Xorg

Postby DonAlfredo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Works for me out of the box with LXDE / LXDM !!
DonAlfredo

Postby rmcloud » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:29 am

Either I am an idiot or you don't tell the truth... which is it? Maybe I did things in the wrong order. I installed xorg and the dependencies... then I wanted to use ratpoison and/or i3... so I installed those plus slim to login. The next thing I tried was to install lxce4... just to see if I could get a relative beast working on the beaglebone black... no go. I kept getting different errors about different libraries missing libfbdirect and so forth. Last thing I tried was lxde... still x fails to start... I am ready to start over.
I have read the wikis and forums and unfortunately for me, I have come to the conclusion that a cutting edge distro is only good for some things. It appears, if one is not a linux admin guru... some things become very difficult.

You said... lxde started out of the box... I will try with a different card.
rmcloud

Postby rmcloud » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm

So you didn't lie... you are just a smart linux user. Was not easy but it works now.
rmcloud

Postby DonAlfredo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30 pm

I was just planning to send you a photo ... ;)

Enjoy your working setup !!!!
DonAlfredo

Return to ARMv7h