Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby aerotoad » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 pm

LaTristesse wrote:The monitor should be "Bus 001 Device 010: ID 17e9:0100 Newnham Research". I'm getting a green screen. Any further suggestions?

EDIT:

Also see for the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25&p=2251#p2251


The green screen (in my experience) is a good sign! You should have a framebuffer device (ie /dev/fb0). You can use applications on the buffer if you want (fbterm, fbi, etc.), or get an X11 server running using it. I posted an xorg.conf that works for me--it's pretty sparse. Then get X started with "startx". I'm using openbox as a window manager and xterm for terminal.
aerotoad
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby LaTristesse » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 pm

aerotoad wrote: I posted an xorg.conf that works for me--it's pretty sparse.


I can't seem to find the file. Where do you post it?
LaTristesse
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby aerotoad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 pm

LaTristesse wrote:I can't seem to find the file. Where do you post it?


Sorry--I wasn't clear in the earlier post. You can find it http://Arch Linux ARM.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=189#p1106, in this thread, and reposted here (:

/etc/xorg.conf
Code: Select all
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        DisplaySize 800 480
#        DisplaySize 1024 768
EndSection

Section "Device"
        #Option "ShadowFB"      "true"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "fbdev"
        Option  "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
#        Option "Rotate" "CCW"

EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
EndSection


You may want to check that post, since I made a script to delay x starts after bootup, and allow users other than root to startx from non /dev/tty*.
aerotoad
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby dockstarfan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:23 pm

For Asterisk on Dockstar/Debian with Google Voice/Sipgate support. This (http://forums.plugpbx.org/index.php?topic=152.0) is the simplest implementation that I know to date.
dockstarfan
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby blurry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Check out what Sprite did to his Dockstar -- or rather how he uses a dockstar to power a very inventive Mac SE casemod:

http://hackaday.com/2010/11/04/mac-se-reborn-as-a-server-and-mac-emulator/
blurry
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby crimsonredmk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm

^ Win.
Remember, Arch Linux ARM is completely donation-supported, and is totally awesome.
crimsonredmk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: #archlinux-arm on irc.freenode.net

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby PacoLM » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi,

I setup my Guruplug Server+ as a home surveillance system, running an updated Debian with Zoneminder 1.24.2. My system has 2 wifi IP-cams (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26358 and http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29918). Working in motion detection mode, I store the motion events in an old NTFS formatted drive and upload them to an external FTP.
It wasn't easy to get it working, but finally I have a 5W surveillance system!

Regards,

PacoLM
PacoLM
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby ehode » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:44 am

PacoLM wrote:Hi,

I setup my Guruplug Server+ as a home surveillance system, running an updated Debian with Zoneminder 1.24.2. My system has 2 wifi IP-cams (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26358 and http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29918). Working in motion detection mode, I store the motion events in an old NTFS formatted drive and upload them to an external FTP.
It wasn't easy to get it working, but finally I have a 5W surveillance system!

Regards,

PacoLM


Interesting. Do you have any sample images from the units. Great price.
ehode
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:00 am

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby DePingus » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 pm

ehode wrote:
PacoLM wrote:Hi,

I setup my Guruplug Server+ as a home surveillance system, running an updated Debian with Zoneminder 1.24.2. My system has 2 wifi IP-cams (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26358 and http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29918). Working in motion detection mode, I store the motion events in an old NTFS formatted drive and upload them to an external FTP.
It wasn't easy to get it working, but finally I have a 5W surveillance system!

Regards,

PacoLM


Interesting. Do you have any sample images from the units. Great price.


This looks like a FOSCAM. I have their weather proof version.
That site has customer photos.
http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/br ... /sku.26358

One thing to note about these FOSCAMs is that there seem to be some Chinese knock-offs of these Chinese cameras out there. The firmware from FOSCAM's website will brick the knock-offs. So if you have one, or are thinking of getting one...watch out for that.
DePingus
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: Biggest dork (or, what are you doing with your Plug)?

Postby nick761 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm using my DockStar for a lot of things but it's really not that interesting.

Here's what I'm currently running:
- cups to share a printer
- sane to share the scanner of the printer
- samba to share files on an external hard drive and provide access to the printer
- minidlna to stream photos, music, and videos to an Xbox 360
- lighttpd to provide a basic web control panel for restarting services like samba or using wake on LANto wake up my desktop
- transmission to download torrents
- sabnzbd+ to download from usenet
- znc to remain connected to IRC networks
nick761
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests