reason for recommending ext2 for pogoplug v2?

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

reason for recommending ext2 for pogoplug v2?

Postby moonman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:12 am

Good time of day,

I am wondering what is the reasoning behind recommending and using ext2 as the primary filesystem for pogoplug v2. The installation guide states that booting from ext3 is unstable and it is not recommended. In the past month i have not had any problems with it. What is "unstable" ? Could somebody please clear this up?

Thanks!
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: reason for recommending ext2 for pogoplug v2?

Postby kmihelich » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 pm

That actually does need to be changed to migrate to ext3, those problems are all in the very distant past. The U-Boot variable does need to be changed also to say rootfstype=ext3, since default is ext2 so formatting as ext3 wouldn't make much difference.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby LavaChild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Similar question - Would ext4 have a benefit over ext3? Does U-Boot support ext4, or only ext3? (In which case I guess it'd be possible to have /boot as ext3 and rootfs as ext4).

Thanks.
LavaChild

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

Ext4's a no, at the very least, not in the u-boot's we have.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

U-Boot can only read FAT and ext2. Ext3 is an option because it can be read as ext2, since it's really just ext2 with a journal. Ext4 does show many benefits over ext3, we just can't pull a uImage from it from U-Boot to boot the system.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby LavaChild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Excellent, thanks for the concise answers! :)
LavaChild

Return to Community