What to expect?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

What to expect?

Postby quirino1977 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:57 pm

I have a seagate goflex home. I use this just as a NAS.
I was thinking about install arch linux. But i'm not sure about it purpose.

After installed, will it be a web interface available to admin shares? Or just ssh?
Is there a web interface so a could install later?
Maybe i would install some dhcp server, transmition and plex media server to stream to my chromecats. Is this something easy to do?

Or should o stay with seagate's original software?

By the way, i use linux on my computers. And i think it's stupid to have a linux running (seagate original software) having only cifs (no nfs), ntfs (instead of ext)...

Thank's.
quirino1977

Re: What to expect?

Postby moonman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:34 am

WebUIs are available in a form of webmin and Ajenti. Later has pretty good support for pacman. The drawback is that they use lots of memory so you should only run them when you need them. I am sure you can find more uses for GFH than just a NAS, and in the case you can't - you should probably stick with original software.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby quirino1977 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Thank you very much.

If i could configure all and forget it, great. I could start webui only when nedded.

I don't plan to do much with GFH because i think it's too weak. I can't imagine GFH doing lots of stuff with acceptable performance. If it can, great. But i'm afraid this could barely run transmition, plex, dlna and file server with good performance. Am i wrong?
quirino1977

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Remember that Plex for this device can not transcode as the x86 version, but it certain depends on your own personal benchmark of "good performance". Plex runs dlna, so I don't understand running both, however.

As for transmission, if you load it down with 6+ heavily used, high activity torrents, yes that can clog anyone's internet.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby quirino1977 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Sure. But i try to get videos that chromecast cast play with no trancode. Usually some carton for my daughter.
And about plex and dlna you're right, just need plex. I made a mess with bubbleupnp server that need a dlna server.

Just for file server, would i get a better performance than original software (seagate). Because it's anoying sometimes.
Maybe i should give it a try and if not satisfied, replace original again. Until what i read, it's easy do put it back, right?

Thank you very much for your help.
quirino1977

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:45 pm

On a GoFlex Home, depending on protocol, you should be able to get up to 30MB/s read, and 12-21MB/s write (protocol, file size, etc)
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby quirino1977 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Sorry. My Goflex HD broke. And i was trying to reorganize everything.
Now back to plans.
With new disk, goflex is not spinning down disk on idle anymore.
Arch linux let me do that, ok?
If i decide to go back to seagate software, is it easy to do? Just reflash with a flash drive on USB? (power + reset)?
quirino1977

Postby quirino1977 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 pm

I understood the Linux files goes on the hard drive. The flash just keeps the boot. So, if the hard drive brokes, i will have to put the linux files again, even using another computer and plug the new drive at the goflex. Am i right?

The size (115MB) looks to fit everything on the flash (256MB).

Looking at the script (goflexhome.sh) to install U-Boot, gives me fear when said:
echo "Failed to install U-Boot. DO NOT REBOOT"
echo "Please seek assistance at:"
echo " http://archlinuxarm.org/forum" (http://archlinuxarm.org/forum%27)
echo " #archlinux-arm on irc.freenode.net"

If i got error, i will brick my goflex. Is there anything i should now before getting and error to apply if it become true? It's kind of stressing o search for a solution already having an error and the unit having to be powered on.
quirino1977

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby quirino1977 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 am

Well. Installed. I'm liking it. But Plex was almost useless. Takes soo long to scan library and performance is not got. Sometimes Goflex looks like dead. Even to type when SSH fails. So i removed Plex to see if get better.
Anyway, better than seagate stock firmware. More flexible. Transmission, Samba, Webmin. I will see what else i could use on it.
The only strange thing is that on stock firmware, with large files, i could get about 40 MBps written. But not always and sometimes i got far less than 40MBps. Archlinux i got more "stable" speeds.
quirino1977

Return to User Questions