Unable to boot pcDuino

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Unable to boot pcDuino

Postby WebReflection » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 pm

following these instructions multiple times and with different kind of SD cards (8Gb class 4, 10, and extreme)
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/pcduino

no way I could see a thing on the screen with my pcDuino board.

I've tried with old and most recent kernel, I had at some point to re-flush the lubuntu after kernel due some error I don't know.

So, I wonder if whoever created those steps could be so nice to review them (last step is a duplicated of the one before) or create an image to re-flush pcDuino as it is for the lubuntu one.

I've used Ubuntu 12.10 fully upgraded following those steps and no errors, the SD card looks perfectly created, partitioned, formated, dd'ed, tarred , etc etc ... lights on pcDuino are not even blinking so ... maybe something else is missing?

Thanks a lot for any help
WebReflection

Re: Unable to boot pcDuino

Postby xenoxaos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I would start from scratch:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/{sdX|mmcblkX} bs=1M count=16')
then fdisk to create two partitions, and mkfs.vfat & mkfs.ext4 and then start over.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:39 pm

I see no duplicated steps... I tell you how to create/what is in the uEnv.txt I have already prepared. In the event you delete it.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby WebReflection » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 pm

thanks xenoxaos but I am not sure I follow you. So your suggestion is to do that $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/{sdX|mmcblkX} bs=1M count=16') first, then make partitions, then $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'dd if=pcduino/sunxi-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblkX bs=1024 seek=8
dd if=pcduino/u-boot.bin of=/dev/mmcblkX bs=1024 seek=32') and then keep going with the rest?

WarheadsSE the duplicated step is at the end, the Creating a uEnv.txt part, which is already done in the latest one of the SD Card Creation ... am I wrong?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cp pcduino/pcDuino.bin /tmp/boot/
cp pcduino/uEnv.txt /tmp/boot/uEnv.txt')

being that already available after
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/boot') I believe the last part is not necessary .

So here all my steps, I might have done something in the wrong order though, I am not familiar with this stuff :)

• unmount and drop all SD Card partitions
  • create 16 MB FAT (16) partition, calling it boot, and formatting it
  • create the rest of available space as Ext4, calling it arch, and formatting it
  • sudo dd if=~/pcduino/sunxi-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb0 bs=1024 seek=8
  • sudo dd if=~/pcduino/u-boot.bin of=/dev/sdb0 bs=1024 seek=32
  • mount both partitions ( as /media/sample/boot and /media/sample/arch ) and ...
  • sudo tar -zxf ~/Downloads/ArchLinuxARM-sun4i-latest.tar.gz -C /media/sample/arch
  • sudo cp ~/pcduino/pcDuino.bin /media/sample/boot/
  • sudo cp ~/pcduino/uEnv.txt /media/sample/boot/uEnv.txt
  • sync

Reboot/Reset/Start the pcDuino with that SD Card ... and finally, wait forever a miracle happens but it doesn't, nothing on the screen.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks again!
WebReflection

Postby pepedog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 am

mmcblkX was supposed to be mmcblk0 in your case
X represents your number (gleaned possibly from dmesg)
pepedog
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'I') tell you how to create/what is in the uEnv.txt I have already prepared. In the event you delete it.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby WebReflection » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 am

pepedog not familiar does not mean completely dumb :D

Also, if you read the whole post:

• sudo dd if=~/pcduino/sunxi-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb0 bs=1024 seek=8
  • sudo dd if=~/pcduino/u-boot.bin of=/dev/sdb0 bs=1024 seek=32

so, yes, all paths are correct, still nothing, pcDuino shows a black screen and TX ad the other led do not even switch on.

WarheadsSE I've got that ... do you have actually a hint/idea about why following steps nothing happens?

thanks
WebReflection

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 am

Where is the first sector of the first partition?

You should be getting at least something. There will be nothing on the HDMI. At all. You have a serial hooked up to the right pins, yes?
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby WebReflection » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'W')here is the first sector of the first partition?

first dd after creating from an empty SD card the FAT partition so I believe 0 ?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', '
')There will be nothing on the HDMI. At all. You have a serial hooked up to the right pins, yes?

uhm ... OK, I was thinking/hoping/praying the video out was there to reach a terminal (RaspberryPI like Arch) ... no, I don't have anything but my USB keyboard, a network cable, and the HDMI cable connected.

So, after I order the serial to connect there, what should I do to have an output on the screen ? :D

Thanks a lot in any case.

I wish at least basic I/O was there ... maybe I should wait more or not planned to have a slightly more complete distro?
WebReflection

Postby kmihelich » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:49 am

The distro is complete. Arch Linux is designed for competent Linux users. We provide the base system on install, you do the rest.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Next

Return to User Questions