Mainline Kernel Support

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Mainline Kernel Support

Postby moniker117 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 am

Hello,

Is there a list somewhere that indicates which of the supported platforms are fully supported by the mainline kernel?

I know that some of the supported platforms will run on the mainline kernel but they won't have support for the GPU or some other part of the hardware. Any of them have full support?

I'm doing some research on a SoC for a hobby project and I'm looking at ODROID-U3, PandaBoard, UDOO, and WandBoard. I'm interested in something with mainline kernel support that's got enough power to run as a desktop, able to do web browsing and LibreOffice with decent performance.

In my research, it seems like PandaBoard has some support, based on the link on PandaBoard (http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/ti/pandaboard), does that suggest that everything on the device is supported? I've read some stuff online about some efforts by Robert Nelson for kernel support on PandaBoard and WandBoard, is that where mainline support is coming from? What about the other SoCs I listed above? ODROID-U3 has the Mali-400 GPU, and I've read about the Lima driver project which suggests some efforts to get some good support on the kernel, however, from what I've read on HardKernel's forums, it sounds like the ODROID-U3 doesn't have a device tree, which I understand would have to be a prerequisite to mainline support.

Sorry for the questions explosion, but I would appreciate any feedback. I've just been doing quite a bit of research on this and, since I don't actually have any of these boards (except for the Raspberry Pi), I don't really know how best to approach getting the answers to my questions short of asking.

Thanks in advance!
moniker117
moniker117

Return to User Questions