Hardware recommendation by use

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Hardware recommendation by use

Postby gotcha640 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi All

I've enjoyed using Alarm on a pogo e02 for a few months now, and it does most of the things I need it to. I use it for a torrent and nzb downloader, and to unrar and serve video to a raspberry pi, and to grab radio streams.

Like I said, it does most of what I want, but it gets bogged down when I try to do all those things at the same time. Video on the pi hangs, unrars slow down, the webuis freeze or crash.

I'd like to upgrade, but I can't tell what I need to consider. Is a faster Arm device with more Ram, like the cubietruck or wandboard the way to go? Do I need Atom or even Pentium?

I'd be happy to hear just a simple answer, "go buy xyz board and you'll be more than covered," but I'd also be interested in helping put together a "So you started with a Pi and now you're hooked on Single Boards" thread. I envision a table with some general specs (which I can put together) but also a note on usage.

Maybe a table of all the supported boards, unless that exists somewhere already?
gotcha640

Re: Hardware recommendation by use

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jeajea » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 am

Switching to a Zyxel NSA 325 from a Pogoplug E02 resolved my minidlna performance issues. Subsequently I moved the videos from a USB drive to its internal SATA drive which should further improve performance. I also added a 512MB swapfile.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6860

The NSA 325 has twice the memory, a 33% faster processor and supports two native SATA drives. It also has wake on LAN and a hardware clock. I have a cron job that shuts it down at 12:10 AM and use wake on LAN to start it when I want to play a video.
If you need something even faster it gets a lot more expensive.
Jim Anderson
3 Dockstars, 3 Pogoplug V2 and a Zyxel NSA325
Treasure Island, Fl
jeajea

Postby grayman4hire » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:46 am

The ZyXel NSA325 does look like a ideal ALARM box currently at around ~$130 on sale or $170 retail.

I wish the Ouya was supported. That would be a nice ALARM box for $90.
grayman4hire

Postby gotcha640 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:26 am

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't seen the Platforms top level, I'd only clicked through each individual and made my own list... The one on the site is better...
gotcha640

Postby pepedog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 am

Yep, Zyxel
pepedog
Developer

Postby gotcha640 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 am

Is the Zyxel really better than something like the wandboard/cubietruck/cubox with their quads and their 2gb ram? I had thought the beefier CPU and Ram would improve webUI snappiness as well as data transfer, but happy to be corrected on that.
gotcha640

Postby grayman4hire » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('gotcha640', 'I')s the Zyxel really better than something like the wandboard/cubietruck/cubox with their quads and their 2gb ram? I had thought the beefier CPU and Ram would improve webUI snappiness as well as data transfer, but happy to be corrected on that.

I guess the question is how much do they cost and how fast are the multi-core CPU compared to the 1.5ghz zyxel CPU for common task like samba.

For me, it's hard to compare a lot of these higher end ARM devices with the $15-20 Pogoplug E02 (such a great deal). At most I probably only want to spend $100 on an ARM device (that's pushing it), otherwise I would just go x86.
grayman4hire

Postby gotcha640 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 am

I can appreciate that, especially when space is less of an issue. I'm working outside the US, moving every year or so, and if I can't bring it in carryon, it's not really worth while at this point. I realize even a full tower can be brought on a suitcase, but I've had enough bags show up wet, damaged, etc, it's easier to have something that fits in carryon.

So, paying a little extra for convenience is worth it to me. It sounds like the Zyxel is the way to save money and get good enough, if that's the case, I'll order the Cubox or Cubietruck and get a little extra.
gotcha640

Postby pepedog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 pm

I have a cubox-i pro too, very solid device.
pepedog
Developer

Next

Return to User Questions