DNS Name resolution on Utilite Standard failing

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

DNS Name resolution on Utilite Standard failing

Postby Gyzer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:48 am

I just picked up a Utilite Standard with the hopes of getting it setup as a router/firewall.

I have arch linux booting via the directions found on this site. I am also following this set of directions concerning the initial setup of the network interfaces: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/router

Essentially everything breaks down after I setup the netctl profiles. After that I am able to ping anything on my network or outside of my network, but only by IP, not by Hostname or domain name.

Currently the Utilite is setup on my network with only the "external" nic setup and plugged into the network and is set to receive dhcp from my router. It is getting an ip, gateway, subnetmask, and DNS info (I have an Ubuntu server providing DNS on my network). My resolv.conf shows the nameserver as being my Ubuntu server which is correct.

For the life of me though I cannot get internal hosts nor external domains to resolve, preventing me from installing packages I need via pacman.

I am a noob with Arch Linux, but I've been using Ubuntu for the better part of a decade. I feel like I'm knowledgable enough, but that I've probably missed something very simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
I'm at a point where I have no idea how I am currently getting an ip address. My extern0-profile netctl profile will not load nor start, and I can release my DHCP ip address via "dhcpcd -k" and then disable dhcpcd via "systemctl stop dhcpcd" and shortly thereafter I will get the same IP address I was getting with dhcpcd. I do not have a DHCP reservation set.
Gyzer

Return to User Questions