So I have a new device...

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

So I have a new device...

Postby MonkeyWrench » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I bought my kids(and me) a bunch of cheap tablets from BigLots and have we have now outgrown them.

I have a PTAB8000 and a PMID800.

The PMID800 worked OK' It's a little slow, but it was reliable.

The PTAB8000 always either locked up, killed all it's apps, or rebooted itself. It was a lot faster than the PMID800 though. I'm betting the PTAB is defective. But that's why I want to flash it over to Archlinux ARM.

I'm a patient and somewhat knowledgeable programmer and computer tech. So I've done some research on these. It's pretty much a desert as far as people working with them other than how to put Google Play on it. After cracking open the case, I found that the PTAB is an @mlogic M3-L device. Looking into their resources, I'm not sure what it specifically is. Also, I found @mlogic had a web page that listed resources like the source code and loader program. But it was in either incomplete or required more intelligence than I poses to navigate it. I have since lost it.

The PMID i will have to do this weekend unless someone has some research done on it.

Things I need to find out:
    How not to brick it
    Is it an ARM 6 or 7
    What program to talk to it with
    Chip set so I know what I need for the kernel

I'm thinking working with these devices is like working with an Arduino based board.

I've already run ArchLinux on it using Linux Deploy and bVNC so I'm pretty sure it works and I can use the touchscreen and USB port(keyboard attached). But it's useless to me as and Android and it has limited memory anyway, so I don't want to leave Android on it.

The only way I know of to keep from bricking it is to not mess with it, so my next step unless advised is to find out what version of ARM it is.
MonkeyWrench

Re: So I have a new device...

Postby MonkeyWrench » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Wow! It amazing what 20 minutes of googling will tell you when you have the right key.

So I now know that it's an ARM7 and that I need to use u-boot. I also found out that I couldn't find anything until I identified the chipset which is an AML8726-MX. I started a topic for this one. Once I had that info, I found all the other people and efforts for getting Linux on this tablet. It's not so much getting Linux on the tablet, as getting everything around it to work right.

The links in the Hardware topic list the tools and resources for working with this tablet.

So I'm a little farther but still looking for the pitfalls of bricking. I guess I'll make that my next step.
MonkeyWrench

Return to User Questions