selfhosted Cloud storage sotware needed (tested them all)

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

selfhosted Cloud storage sotware needed (tested them all)

Postby hachel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to make my pogo plug serve as a cloud storage. I know googling that issue gets you hundreds of results, but all of them had some flaws that kept me looking for alternatives.
What I need is a lightweight, web-accessible cloud that basically just indexes my files and has a rudimentary gallery system for viewing my photos. Also it has to be able to synchronize via rsync or something comparable, because I want to use it as a one-way cloud storage and don't want to keep two copies of each file (one on the server, one on my laptop).

The main problem with most of the programs I tried was that they ran solely on php, which, in my opinion, nevers gets you an acceptable performance and that they used their own sync-clients, keeping my local and remote folder in sync, thus resulting in two copies of each file.

First I tried owncloud, but it was far too sluggish and overblown. Synchronising via rsync/webdav was tedious and I don't need calendars and contacts. Then I tried pydio, which is also far too slow.
After that I tried seafile, which, because it uses it's own sophisticated set of servers behind the webinterface, performed reasonably fast. The problem is that relies on it's own sync client and stores the files in blocks, so it's hard to feed it via rsync.
Lastly I tried cozy, but it's set up for a debian system only. Installing it on arch didn't work the last time I tried. Also it seems overblown for my purposes as well. The general idea of it, running on a set of nodejs-server-modules, seemed fast enough though. So something along that line sounds fruity.

So has anyone any idea on how to realize it? Thanks!
hachel

Re: selfhosted Cloud storage sotware needed (tested them all

Postby devr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Nice write up. I am in the same boat. Currently I am using owncloud on Nginx, uwsgi-plugin-php, postgresql. This stack helps keep the resources low. Though I did upgrade to a 1 GHz - 4 core w/ 2Gb physical ram, so that helps too. I am looking forward to seeing if there are any other suggestions for apps.
devr

Postby moonman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 pm

I use btsync, though there is no gui. You could use btsync + http server with h5ai, though thumbnail generation wwith h5ai is slow. You can also optimize php performance with an accelerator + cache ( 2 extensions described on arch wiki i think)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby hachel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:24 pm

thanks everybody

devr: my pogoplug doesn't even come close to that

I am using btsync, which is fine for non-image files because I can tell by the filename what's in it. My pictures are all named by date and time though, so I'd need a web-gallery of some sort.

I'll have a look into h5ai. Does it generate thumbnails on the fly? Otherwise slowness wouldn't bother me.
hachel

Postby devr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 am

hachel: i first started with a tonidoPlug2. So I know what its like.

h5ai looks pretty interesting.
devr

Return to User Questions