Need suggestions on which SOC to get

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Re: Need suggestions on which SOC to get

Postby klundry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

But do they at least sustain more than 100Mb or 480Mb?
klundry

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:21 pm

/facedesk
I'm done here.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby klundry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm

What? Please enlighten me about why I'm apparently being stupid.

If it's silly to be concerned with getting better transfer rates than usb2, then why do Gig Ethernet and USB3 and SATA exist?
klundry

Postby kmihelich » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm

The key piece you're forgetting is that with the exception of only 2, maybe 3 of the chipsets we support, these are all mobile chipsets shoved onto a PCB with standard connectors populated. Phones and tablets don't need SATA or gigabit ethernet, so you don't see that often.

If you need consistent line-speed gigabit throughput from local storage with CPU headroom to spare, you need to stay on x86. If, however, you take the realistic, typical, average throughput generated by the tasks you wish to perform, and that falls below your questionable expectation of link saturation, chances are nearly every system we officially support will work just fine. At that point, it ends up being personal preference, your budget, and what features you're willing to trade off. And on that point, our website lists all the specifications for each board, the manufacturers' websites list prices, and this forum is chock full of personal experiences.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby klundry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:41 pm

I understand that these are mobile chipsets and they aren't going to match an x86 system. I am simply looking for the one that does it best. If usb2 speed is the max I can expect, so be it. That will work just fine for my needs.

I guess I just wanted to pick people's brains about the subject because I'm not fully aware of all the limitations on transfer speeds with all these different devices.
klundry

Previous

Return to User Questions