am33x installation image with current kernel?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

am33x installation image with current kernel?

Postby parport » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 pm

So the am33x (Beaglebone Black etc.) installation image uses the linux-am33x-legacy kernel package for some reason. Any plans to switch to the linux-am33x package?

Using the legacy kernel, my BBB freezes shortly after booting (the heartbeat stops). Sometimes I manage to ssh in for like 2 seconds but that's it. And I don't have an external monitor or a serial cable for debugging.
parport

Re: am33x installation image with current kernel?

Postby kmihelich » Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 am

The 3.8 kernel provides better support for capes and banging around with the IO pins, and more people want that than the very latest kernel. You're free to replace the kernel with linux-am33x in your own installation should you want the latest kernel features over peripheral support.

Your freezing problem is likely related to supplying insufficient power to the board.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby parport » Thu May 01, 2014 1:07 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'Y')our freezing problem is likely related to supplying insufficient power to the board.

But I have a 2.5A PSU connected by barrel plug, and no USB devices... Also the Debian image never freezes. Their 3.8 kernel probably has a different patchset?
parport

Postby kmihelich » Thu May 01, 2014 1:22 am

Maybe try a different SD card. Without serial, can't diagnose much of anything.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby parport » Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'M')aybe try a different SD card. Without serial, can't diagnose much of anything.

Had a good night's sleep, steeling myself for a mega debugging session, but no, the legacy kernel works just fine today without changing anything. :?

Fingers crossed...
parport

Return to User Questions