Start

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Start

Postby 10fi » Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some guides how-to set up a seagate NAS after it was modded to ALARAM.

The key issue is that I'm new to linux and can't find any GOOD and UP_TO_DATE guides how-to make it run something more than ssh.

I would like to start some ftp, samba etc... and by default this poor thing doesnt even have the swap on...

Any ideas, where a linux newbie should start not to get dead-anyoed by the complexity of the things and amount of stuff that needs to be done?

Cheers!
10fi

Re: Start

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Guidobelix » Wed May 14, 2014 5:46 am

Guidobelix

Postby 10fi » Wed May 14, 2014 4:31 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')
This is also a very good starting point:
http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/tutoria ... linux.html"

Thanks! I'll check it!

And re:wiki - I found it a bit not tailored to ALARM and needs of a newbie - there are some inconsistencies/out dated infos on that site. This can be easly tackled by an experienced pro, but for a newbie it is not that easly done.
10fi

Postby kmihelich » Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Aside from x86-isms dealing with bootloaders or x86-specific hardware, the wiki applies completely to Arch Linux ARM. This distribution is a direct port of x86 Arch Linux to ARM, not a derivative.

Additionally, Arch is not a distribution for people new to Linux. This is stated multiple places, not least of which is our home page. Arch is a distribution that targets and accommodates a competent Linux user, as the distribution itself offers very little assistance to the users compared to others.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby 10fi » Wed May 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Yes, I got it that it is not for newbies... and still, thanks for the tutorial. For me the devices like NAS or router (got OpenWRT) are the only devices where I actually have any motivation to learn Linux, so that's why I don't have any background on Linux :)

Cheers all :)
10fi

Return to User Questions