can a pogoplug V2 be configured to emulate a L3 switch

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

can a pogoplug V2 be configured to emulate a L3 switch

Postby g8jvm » Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm

hi

Try a different approach and maybe get some assistance

can it be comfigured to act as either a L3 switch or dhcp relay ?

ie , onboard NIC using the dhcp client to get its ip-address, and a second USB/NIC connected to a second computer
relaying its dhcp requests to the same dhcp server as issueing the ip-address to the onboard NIC.

dhcrelay seems not to be part of the Arch package list

TIA
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ham Call: G8JVM , QRA IO82SP38 interests weak signal propagation
VHF to microwave, http://www.g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Re: can a pogoplug V2 be configured to emulate a L3 switch

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri May 16, 2014 1:39 am

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/dhcp/

Click on File list under Package Contents
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby pepedog » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 am

pepedog
Developer

Postby g8jvm » Sat May 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure if a bridge wil do it :(
May be if I say want I'm trying to do it may help.

my WAN link is via a cable wireless router with 4 ethernet ports and wifi, the TV sat box grabs one of the wired ports, and one is run upstairs to a second computer, the 2.4GHz signal is not good up there.
I have moved the pogoplug from downstairs where it had a wired connection to the router upstairs, now using the
single cable run that goes upstairs.
Now the pogoplug is using the wired connection on its eth0 and get its address, dhcp from the cable router.
What I'm trying to do is connect the other computer upstairs on a wired connection to a second ethernetport (USB),on the pogoplug,
and keep it visable to this laptop I'm using now which is on wifi.
that means keeping it on the same subnet the cable router is issueing addresses for.

the first problem i have is at power up both ethernet ports are seen, one gets its addres

s , dhcp, the other doesn't.
what would help if eth1 would stay down until a script is run to give it address, so anything that runs , unless manually entered, fails as the interface is already up.

Just to complicate things, I cant use the very easy way out and boost the wifi connection, as I'm a radio ham, and I run
100W on 2.320 GHz, just below the wifi band edge and that knocks the wifi badly, and I need the computer upstairs fully connected if I'm using data modes

The reason for looking at a layer 3 switch was dhcp relaying , so everything is on the same subnet.

I cant get deep enough in to the cable router to access it routing table, if I could it wouldn't matter what subnet was sitting on
eth1 on the pogoplug.

The last resort is another run of CAT5, which I dont want to do.

Does that clarify the situation, or should just reserve a straight jacket and padded cell :)
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Postby pepedog » Sat May 17, 2014 1:52 pm

The pogoplug Ethernet works with without a hub or switch, you can connect direct to it so that would be connected to computer, added on Ethernet connected to wan. Bridge will work fine.
You will have to disable existing network config of course
pepedog
Developer

Postby g8jvm » Mon May 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi
I dont think you understood what I was trying to do, but I've now ordered some more CAT5 & rj45 faceplates, and I'll run an additional cable.
Shame I would have prefered to done the job with s/w.

This thread can be killed
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Postby bodhi » Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Sorry I can't resist jumping in here :) what pepedog said will work fine for the OP's purpose, IMO. Can the Pogo V2 be configured to run as a bridge? so both the computer upstair and the pogoV2 upstair will get dhcp from the router downstair?
bodhi

Postby g8jvm » Tue May 20, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Bohdi
it may get its ip address from the router , but you missed the next line of my post
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'a')nd keep it visable to this laptop I'm using now which is on wifi.

I've used bridges many times with virtual machines, and the computer on the bridge may get its address from the dhcp server , but
as far as the network goes you cant see it,only the machine that's physically on the LAN, and not what s on the bridge behind it.
I wish it could.
Both computers need to have differerent addresses on the same subnet, both prefeably issued by the dhcp server on the same port of the router, so the dynamic routing table on the router shows both computers on the same port.
Its the router that makes it difficult as there is no access to the routing table, if it was its simple to just shove a block on one port and configure the pogoplug as a simple router, with both NICs with different addresses in the same subnet with routing between them.
Best wishes
Richard
richard@g8jvm.com
g8jvm

Postby moonman » Wed May 21, 2014 8:05 pm

bridge will work perfectly fine if you set it up properly. When you set up bridge, you have to use the bridge interface for dhcp (e.g. br0). I've used this setup for a while for my media center pc connected to goflex home via usb to ethernet adapter
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions