OpenCL

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

OpenCL

Postby krovetz » Fri May 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Has anyone used OpenCL on an alarm device?

There's hardware support on several devices, but Googling hasn't turned-up any chatter on the subject.
krovetz

Re: OpenCL

Postby Veyrdite » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 am

OpenCL code can be compiled for and executed on almost anything, including CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs, etc. I'm assuming that you are asking about utilising the GPU components of ARM platforms to do the work for you.

OpenCL support lies with the graphics drivers. For all Linux-derivatives the code for this lies in the kernel, so it will be the same for all distributions (ARM or not). In some cases proprietary drivers that support OpenCL also exist -- Nvidia's definitely do, I don't know about Broadcom (raspi).

"Hardware support" means nothing. Any turing-complete device can do OpenCL -- even colossus -- with the right software and enough memory. If a company is claiming that their 'hardware' supports OpenCL then dismiss it as marketing.

I don't think anyone has done it yet, but please prove me wrong :D
Veyrdite

Re: OpenCL

Postby Veyrdite » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:06 am

Alternative to perform GPU processing exist, such as OpenGLES. Android support for this exists, but whether or not this is from in-tree kernel drivers or out-of-tree proprietary ones I don't know.
Veyrdite

Return to User Questions