Setting resolution with uEnv.txt

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Setting resolution with uEnv.txt

Postby TheMoro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:23 am

I have an A20 Iteaduino Plus board that is apparently compatible with the cubieboard2 from what I can tell. I've finally managed to get Arch installed, running, and even have an X server going. However I can't seem to set the resolution. Unfortunatly, my TV does not have EDID information, as its behind a HDMI to VGA converter, so I have to explicitly set the resolution. From what I can tell, thats done by setting kernel parameters using the uEnv.txt file.

FWIW, to install, I grabbed this image from the manufacturer's website http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-sun7i-latest.tar.gz, and followed these instructions for the inital SD card setup http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/allwinner/cubieboard-2

Here's what I have:
uEnv.txt
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'extraargs=disp.screen0_output_type=3 disp.screen0_output_mode=1920x1080i60')

Output from xrandr shows its not set correctly:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@alarm ~]# xrandr --display :0
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1280 x 720, current 1280 x 720, maximum 1280 x 720
default connected 1280x720+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x720 50.00*
')

Checking the contents of /proc/cmdline
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait video=')
Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like the options I've specified in /boot/uEnv.txt are even being passed to the kernel?
Any ideas?
TheMoro

Re: Setting resolution with uEnv.txt

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 pm

We're actually merging in updated support explicitly for this model shortly. With a u-boot we know will properly handle that.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Setting resolution with uEnv.txt

Postby TheMoro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:29 pm

sweet! Let me know if you need someone to test things out. I did manage to set the options I needed using a /etc/modprobe.d config file, as I couldn't get the uEnv.txt options to work. If anyone else runs across this, here's what it looks like:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cat /etc/modprobe.d/resolution.conf
options disp screen0_output_type=3
options disp screen0_output_mode=1920x1080i60
options hdmi audio=EDID:0')
TheMoro

Return to User Questions