Hosting my own website on a GoFlex Home

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Re: Hosting my own website on a GoFlex Home

Postby jfharper » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:16 pm

OK...tried it, got same ip as before power-cycling my router.
jfharper

Postby pepedog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:01 am

Some ISP block port 80 to stop web servers from being run, not common though.
pepedog
Developer

Postby jfharper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:32 am

OK, so the way I understand it, I configure apache in the httpd.conf file to listen to a different port, then set that port to forward in my router using the static ip of the GoFlex...is that correct?
jfharper

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:34 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jfharper', 'O')K, so the way I understand it, I configure apache in the httpd.conf file to listen to a different port, then set that port to forward in my router using the static ip of the GoFlex...is that correct?

No, port 80 on your LAN is fine. You will need to use a static or reserved IP address for your GoFlex on your LAN (as you have done), so that you can set your modem/router to forward from whatever port (first try port 80) on the internet (WAN) to that.

There's another possible wrinkle, that some ISPs use NAT, which would make port forwarding almost impossible. You could check that by logging into your modem and see what external IP address it says it's using. If that's different from the address you found from checkip.dyndns.org then you may be out of luck.
Geoff

Postby jfharper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:50 am

The only ip I see in my router is 192.168.1.1 which is what I use to login locally...I don't see another "external" ip that matches the ip I get when visiting those links you all provided. There is a NAT setting enabled under WAN network settings.
jfharper

Postby pepedog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 am

Don't touch THAT nat

On router there must be an info button, It should show what WAN ip address you have
Compare that to what that web page showed

Does http://<internal ip address of gf home> work?
pepedog
Developer

Postby jfharper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm using an airrouter, no info button, under main it shows some general stuff but no WAN ip address I got from that webpage. http://internalipofgfhome works internally, but not outside my home network.

Under Network->WAN Network Settings->DHCP is enabled with a DHCP Fallback IP number entered, but this does not match the ip address that webpage gave me.
jfharper

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jfharper', 'I')'m using an airrouter

OK, so that's your router. It sounds like you may have a separate modem, then. If so, then you might review this thread where "modem" is mentioned as distinct from "router." Before worrying about all that, though, you should set up and test your web server on the LAN, as pepedog mentioned.
Geoff

Postby jfharper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 pm

OH, ok...there is another little box...one cable goes to my antennae and read POE the other goes to my router and read LAN. I remember getting login information before to check my signal strength, and had this written down...I tried the first ip in the browser to connect using a port number, didn't work, then I used the second ip written down, nope, then I used the IP given from the links you all provided along with the port I wrote down and it connected to a nanobridge m5...I was able to login using a user and password, but could only access the main page with signal strength information...I was unable to click the network, wireless, advanced, etc tabs...there was a few things I could click, one of which was port forwarding, which said port forwarding was disabled. I'm assuming this is my modem. I power-cycled it and went to those websites and got the same IP I got before, so maybe it is set static. Is there anything I can do?

I did setup and test my web server and it works locally...I can enter in the static IP I have setup in a browser and the placeholder page comes up.
jfharper

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Sounds like you're close. Maybe it's time to read the manual to figure out how to enable port forwarding.
Geoff

PreviousNext

Return to User Questions