Single application, fast boot, embedded graphical telemetry

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Single application, fast boot, embedded graphical telemetry

Postby Sccoupe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Hello,
This is my first post to a linux forum. Since Arch linux seems to be the thinest, widely supported version available (google told me so), this is where my quest will start. I have experience with embedded computing (hardware/software) but little experience with Linux. The project is the create a fast digital graphics telemetry display. This has been done before with other embedded graphics processors that were programmed with a C++ style software. However, more power is now needed with better graphics. The Raspberry Pi and similar ready to go modules seem to be the way to go. FPGA's were a thought, but those guys keep pointing towards a RTOS type system with graphics acceleration. Perhaps someone here can point be in the right direction given the requirements below.....
Very fast boost up time.
Fast graphical hardware acceleration.
Multi layer graphics.
Alpha blending.
Anti-aliasing.
No windows manager required.
Arch linux seems to meet the fast booting time. A Rasberry Pi seems to meet the hardware requirements. Where do I go for the rest? Can graphics be done on the Pi without a windows type interface. Just boot up to the graphics application and run? What software (IDE) do I need to code such a program? Are there libraries to make this job easier? Any thoughts, suggestions, or routes?
Regards
Sccoupe

Re: Single application, fast boot, embedded graphical teleme

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Technically, yeah, sure the Pi can do that.

A few notes:
- The IDE does not determine the language, or the platform.
- You can use whatever language you want, and the same with the IDE
- You can use SDL or OpenGL (ES) without X at all.
- There are probably many libraries that might make this easier.
- Why did you choose the Pi off the bat?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Sccoupe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:48 pm

OpenGL (I think OpenVG is included in this) without the need to X would be great as that sounds very good for very quick bootup. What is the suggested platform to start work with this? Can I develop in Windows with Eclipse(or perhaps QT?) or do I need Linux? I'd prefer to stock with a C++ type environment because that is what i'm most used to but other than that i'm open to whatever IDE has the best support and easiest to use.
I mention the Pi as I have one, but have also looked at Beaglebone and some of the Freescale modules. Again here I am open to suggestion as long as the base board is under $100.
Currently using 4D Systems graphics processors to get the job done, but need something more capable now without blowing the price up too much.
Sccoupe

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Multiple iMX6 systems exist, have full OpenGL (not just ES) support, are less than $100 and have a ton more CPU horsepower.

Qt can be done from either platform, and you can use whatever editor you want. I might suggest that you use at least a linux VM with Qt developer/IDE tools, but I think you can do Qt fine with Eclipse. You will however be best doing a native compile.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to User Questions