distcc Qt5 compilation on Raspberry Pi

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

distcc Qt5 compilation on Raspberry Pi

Postby adontz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:01 am

Hello,

I'm trying to compile custom Qt5 build on Raspberry Pi. so, I decides that it will be better to create a custom package and use makepkg and all other standard stuff. So, I've update PKGBUILD of standard Qt5, fixed some issues and started the build. It was damn slow, So I've set up distcc. That works, compilation is distributed. However, after a few hours I've got message about virtual memory being exhausted. So, I'm trying now to make distcc to compile remote only, not on Raspberry.

And the question is, if it is possible to do this? Maybe there is some better solution for my problem?
adontz

Re: distcc Qt5 compilation on Raspberry Pi

Postby moonman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:39 am

You can't. All linking is still done on RPi itself and sometimes linking will need A LOOOOOOT of memory. Your best bet is to get a spinning hdd, setup a lot of swap on it, reduce GPU memory to a minimum (try 16MB, if it doesn't boot then use 24) and wait a long time. You should also use ccache so if it fails, you can fix resume faster as it will pull whatever it can from cache instead of recompiling.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: distcc Qt5 compilation on Raspberry Pi

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:45 pm

But don't rely on ccache ;)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to User Questions