Control of X session on Ras-Pi HDMI from ssh

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Control of X session on Ras-Pi HDMI from ssh

Postby ewaller » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:09 pm

I have significant experience with Arch Linux on x86_64, but just installed ArchArm on a Ras-Pi yesterday. It feels quite natural :)

But, there is something I am trying to do that seems to be counter to what others are trying. The sheer volume of people trying to send X sessions to hosts via X may be burying my search attempts for my problem. That said, here is what I am trying to do:

I want a RasPi attached to a Television and a router across the room without keyboard or mouse. I want to be able to connect to it from ssh and be able to start an X session that will display on the Television. I then would love to have that X session take keyboard events from characters sent over the ssh session. There is something called x2x which seems to do this, but as there is no mention of it here, I assume there is a reason it is not available via pacman for Arm. If it is not possible to generate keyboard events, an alternate would be to use X forwarding to the display.

Experimenting so far, I can get an i3wm session to run on the console when logged in as root via ssh. (That is wrong on so many levels) Anyway, keyboard events are not forwarded. Any suggestions on how to start an X session on the console as a user from a ssh session? That seems to be very effectvely blocked by recent changes to X, and the ability to run it rootless mode. I have tried the wrapper method to force X to run as root, but it is still blocked.
ewaller

Re: Control of X session on Ras-Pi HDMI from ssh

Postby nwestfal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:14 pm

You could try to grab the PKGBUILD from https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/x2x-git/ and build it yourself.

(probably have to add 'arm' to the arch line in the PKGBUILD)
-Neal
nwestfal

Postby moonman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:17 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('nwestfal', '
')(probably have to add 'arm' to the arch line in the PKGBUILD)

...or run makepkg with -A
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby ewaller » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Sorry guys, I apologize for not responding sooner. I am a bit new to these forums, I thought would see an automatic email when a response to the thread was posted. Thank you for your replies and I will give those a shot when I get home tonight.
ewaller

Postby moonman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:48 pm

You need to subscribe to this topic to get emails.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions