hd-idle and rootfs

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

hd-idle and rootfs

Postby hojnikb » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:50 pm

So recently i've switched to running archlinuxarm from a flash drive to external HDD. Nothig wrong with that, everything works perfectly now (no dead flash drives and currupted filesystems) but there is a problem though. Since everything is on the HDD now, it never spins down. So i'm literaly running it 24/7, while before it spun down, when there was no activity on it (pretty much most of the time).

I'm using seagate dockstar and its used for samba, torrents and flexget. hd-idle is setup but i never get the drive to spin down.

So is there a way, to tweak the system to a point, where there is little to no disk activity when things are idle (eg no one is accessing samba or downloading torrents) ?
I would switch back to flash drives, but i've had too much trouble with that in the past.
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ +°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~I ♥ my DockStar :oops:~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°++°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~
Linux = Be root
Windows = reboot

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~DockStar, Marvell CPU @ 1.2Ghz, 128MB RAM, 4GB rootfs + 160GB°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
hojnikb

Re: hd-idle and rootfs

Postby moonman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Take a look here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools
It will be difficult to keep the hdd spun down, i personally don't care much about it as the power draw is minimal and constantly spinning the drive up and down will shorten its life. This is what will likely happen since it is your system drive.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby hojnikb » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Well, i guess i'll let it keep spinning. I'm not worried about power consumption, neither the noise (its pretty silent) but just the general reduced life, because its constantly on. Last drive, that was inside had 25K hours and went bad (well it still works, just gets alot of errors).

Too bad there is no tiny nand version of archlinux arm with all the most common stuff inside :)
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ +°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~I ♥ my DockStar :oops:~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°++°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~
Linux = Be root
Windows = reboot

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~DockStar, Marvell CPU @ 1.2Ghz, 128MB RAM, 4GB rootfs + 160GB°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
hojnikb

Postby moonman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('hojnikb', '
')Too bad there is no tiny nand version of archlinux arm with all the most common stuff inside :)

It wouldn't be arch then. You are thinking openwrt :)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions