Is less than 12 hours considered an old topic?

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Is less than 12 hours considered an old topic?

Postby funkyboris » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Short version
Please reconsider your thread locking policies.

----

Long version
Yesterday, I wrote a question of sorts on the Raspberry Pi subforum, the contents of which is irrelevant to the point I am about to make:

http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8246

I created the thread at 1:10 CET. There were replys at 5:35 and 9:40 CET. That was when I was asleep.

I woke up and tried what had been suggested in the last reply. By the face of it, the suggested package seemed to mitigate the situation - just the kind of solution I was looking for.

At 12:20, I tried to reply to the thread saying that the suggested solution seemed to have worked and thank pepedog for suggesting it. That didn't happen. Instead, I got this message:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'T')his topic is too old to reply, so, it's locked now. Thanks.

The topic was (and still is, at the time of writing this post) less than 12 hours old.

The message does not specifiy whether this has been locked by an admin manually, or automatically. Either way, I find this practice annoying to say the least.

The reason I made the post in the first place was, that I had tried google first. As far as I recall, nothing useful came up. My thread thus had two distinct purposes:
$this->bbcode_list('1')
  • To (hopefully) fix the problem at hand
  • To (also hopefully) rank in google with an answer to a problem that others might have.
  • The last one is the reason I take exception to the practice of such swift locking of the thread: There is no conclusion. If someone else finds the thread while looking for a fix to a similar problem, they will have no way of judging the suggestions offered in the post because they were never followed up. If the thread is to be of use to anyone, they need to be able to deduce the following about it:
    $this->bbcode_list('1')
  • Here's someone who has a problem which is similar to mine
  • Someone else on the thread suggested a solution
  • The original someone commented on whether the solution was of any use
  • The threads usefulness to a person looking for a solution to a similar problem certainly drops a considerable amount of points if the last step is conspicuously absent.

In Summary: See "Short version" (top of post).
    funkyboris

Re: Is less than 12 hours considered an old topic?

Postby pepedog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:55 pm

No one has locked it.
    Check you pc's time
    At the bottom of every page, delete all board cookies
    pepedog
    Developer

Re: Is less than 12 hours considered an old topic?

Postby funkyboris » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:06 pm

I tried to make the post with web developer tools active, so I could inspect what was being sent back and forth. I was, however, unable to reproduce the error (of which this reply is evidence).

Oh well. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: The error is back - both with and without web developer active. I get the same result now when trying to post...
    funkyboris

Return to User Questions