Making multiple network profiles

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Making multiple network profiles

Postby gcotant » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:00 am

I've got the wireless setup and working, and I've got a wireless profile setup for home. However, I take my pi with me sometimes and I need it to be able to access two other network connections depending on the situation. This unique situation is when I am outside of the home network then I will need to switch between the school network and the ad hoc network (hosted by my laptop). Don't question it, my situation is weird. I'm also working from console mode.

Here is my problem: when I attempt to switch networks, the command gives this error:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Job for netctl@wireless\x2dadhoc.service failed. See " systemctl status 'netctl@wireless\x2dadhoc'" and "journalctl -xe" for details.')

Here is what the systemctl status says:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '*netctl@wireless\xd2dadhoc.service.service - Networking for netctl profile wireless-adhoc.service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl1@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:netctl.profile(5)')

And I can't find the error in journalctl -xe command.

Any help is appreciated.
gcotant

Re: Making multiple network profiles

Postby pepedog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:24 am

Disable all netctl services, systemctl enable netctl-auto@wlan0 should work
It runs thru /etc/netctl trying all profiles that have interface set to wlan0 until it finds a worker
pepedog
Developer

Postby gcotant » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:10 am

Right but how do I manually switch to adhoc when I need to. It just sounds like it will always default to the school network the moment I turn it on.
gcotant

Postby moonman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:49 am

You can't unless you already have a connection to rpi. Get a second wifi adapter that will only do your laptop i guess...
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to User Questions