Quick question for those using my.pogoplug service in ALARM

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Quick question for those using my.pogoplug service in ALARM

Postby Waynosan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:07 pm

I recently installed ALARM onto my V2 Pogoplug and have a SAMBA share configured. For those who are running the my.pogoplug service in ALARM, how does it work compared to the stock device? Will I see all the device connected to the pogoplug (including the USB drive with ALARM)?

I am hoping that I can restrict the files that is seen through the pogoplug clients to just media files, and keep sensitive files, like those in Mydocuments folder, off.

Finally, do you have to manually update the service whenever CE pushes a new build or can that be automated?

Thank you!
Waynosan

Re: Quick question for those using my.pogoplug service in AL

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:49 pm

You can restrict. See the commentary on the various services on how to edit the config so that it only uses certain dirs.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby grayman4hire » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:52 pm

No auto update. I don't think thumbnails get displayed.

I personally like the my.pogoplug.com service a lot (iPhone photo stream backup). My main ALARM e02 system with my.pogoplug.com service crashed awhile back and I'm still trying to recover the data on it.

The Pogoplug itself is cheap enough (PP Mobile $13). I'm thinking of using a "stock" one just to run the my.pogoplug.com service (no baby sitting needed). I just don't want to attach a drive to it. I'm wondering if I can install Optware SAMBA on it and mount a CIFS share and "trick" the pogoplug to use the CIFS mount. Should be possible I think.
grayman4hire

Postby moonman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 pm

You don't need full samba to mount cifs, but the kernel needs to support it. I don't think it does on stock pogo. Also optware is basically dead. There is entware arm port.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Waynosan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:06 am

I actually have two E02 pogoplugs so I guess maybe I should just keep one stock so I don't run into issues with the pogoplug service crashing... having said that, it would be nice if I could get them to talk to each other so I could backup the data from the one running the pogoplug service automatically.
Waynosan

Postby grayman4hire » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:53 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Waynosan', 'I') actually have two E02 pogoplugs so I guess maybe I should just keep one stock so I don't run into issues with the pogoplug service crashing... having said that, it would be nice if I could get them to talk to each other so I could backup the data from the one running the pogoplug service automatically.

Install SAMBA via Optware on your "stock" Pogoplug - http://blog.qnology.com/2013/11/how-to- ... ba-on.html.

Use Rsync or similar tool, to backup your HD attached to the "stock" Pogoplug.
grayman4hire

Postby grayman4hire » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:55 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'Y')ou don't need full samba to mount cifs, but the kernel needs to support it. I don't think it does on stock pogo. Also optware is basically dead. There is entware arm port.

Interesting. It's been a couple of years since I played with entware. Will need to look at it again. Thanks for the info.
grayman4hire

Postby Waynosan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 pm

@grayman4hire: That looks like a very interesting option; will try that!
Waynosan

Return to User Questions